15 replies to this topic

#1 apostolakisl

apostolakisl

Advanced

• Members
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:02 AM

http://www.lowes.com...orks_379038320_

It looks like a whole series of products using zwave and zigbee. The switches are made by GE and are quite reasonably priced. Reliability and durability are ???. But it looks like this stuff is going more mainstream and it might be worth investing some work on UD's part to get ISY to be compatible with this stuff. I assume the zwave and zigbee modules for the 994i should be able integrate but may need some firmware revisions?

#2 Michel Kohanim

Michel Kohanim

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 775 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

Hello apostolakisl,

Yes, we are working on the ZWave solution which we had to put on hold to fix i2cs things.

With kind regards,
Michel

UDI Tech Support
Universal Devices Inc.

Information (Wiki):     http://wiki.universal-devices.com

Submit a Ticket:        http://www.universal-devices.com/contact-support

Email:                      support@universal-devices.com

Phone:                    818.631.0333

#3 Brian H

Brian H

Advanced

• Members
  • 3,585 posts
  • LocationSouth East Connecticut

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

Some of the answers in the FAQ section of the Customer Support area are interesting.

#4 hbsh01

hbsh01

Advanced

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:27 PM

I will tell u my experiance with Z-wave. It was about 3-4 years ago when I started looking into home automation. I bought about 10 Intermatic Z-wave plugin devices the equivalent of an appliancelinc, with a couple of controller devices. My home at the time was 1 floor 20 x 60 feet and I had at least 1 device in each room. Each zwave device acts as a repeater, and is supposed to have a line of sight range of 100 feet. In my house all the devices were within about 10 feet from the next device except for one which was 20 feet away from the next one.

Nevertheless, I would say that the reliability was at less than 50 percent! In addition to some physical controllers & remotes I used a trial version of HomeSeer. I would do from HomeSeer an all on/all off in succession several times and each time about half of the devices at random -not even always the same ones- wouldn't respond.

I got so frustrated & disgusted that at the end of the 30 day trial period I packed everyting up & sent it back. I sent along a blueprint of my home & marked the exact location where each device was located just to show them how a device that should have worked even if I had only 2 devices one at each end of the house, didn't work with 10 repeater devices within 10 feet of each other.

It was afterwards that I bought some Insteon devices & have never looked back. It was like a breathe of fresh air. I was surprised to see how when you press on it just turns on each & every time without fail.

So a word to Michel:

I don't know if zwave became better since then, but I just felt that I should share with you my experience with Zwave. I would hate to see you spending time & resources on zwave compatibility on Insteon's expense. Insteon with all it's occasional issues is still pretty rock solid at least compared to ZWave.

Thanks

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

#5 Brian H

Brian H

Advanced

• Members
  • 3,585 posts
  • LocationSouth East Connecticut

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

When Intermatic dropped their Z-Wave Line of products.
I purchased a few modules from local Job Lot style store.
I also was not impressed with them.

#6 hbsh01

hbsh01

Advanced

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

I would call "not impressed" an understatement... In my experience the reliability was even way worse of what I have read about X-10!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

#7 Michel Kohanim

Michel Kohanim

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 775 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:10 PM

Hello hbsh01,

Thanks so very much for sharing your experience and furthermore your advice was right on!

Our ambitions for ZWave are very limited and mostly involving support for Door Locks which SmartHome does not have a good solution for. We have everything working just need the finishing touches to get everything (with INSTEON) working in unison.

Thanks again and with kind regards,
Michel

UDI Tech Support
Universal Devices Inc.

#8 jmed999

jmed999

Advanced

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:27 AM

Those prices are pretty competitive! I would love to see someone compete with Smarthome to the point it puts downward pressure on their prices. The Insteon products are priced high for what you get IMO. Other brands are even pricier.

#9 Michel Kohanim

Michel Kohanim

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 775 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

Hi jmed999,

That's what I though at the first glance. This said, the system is pretty limited:
1. You always need to be connected to their server
2. You can only send one email to one person if you do not want to pay $9.99/month

In short, they are hoping that you would eventually sign up for their monthly plan ($120.00/year).

The jury is still out on who would be willing to pay monthly fees for something that's neither "essential" such as security system nor "entertainment" such as cable service. From what I have seen in my career, so far, all those who started with this premise either had to backtrack and provide a free service (limited) or simply stopped producing those products.

We shall see!

With kind regards,
Michel

UDI Tech Support
Universal Devices Inc.

#10 gatchel

gatchel

Advanced

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

Hello hbsh01,

Thanks so very much for sharing your experience and furthermore your advice was right on!

Our ambitions for ZWave are very limited and mostly involving support for Door Locks which SmartHome does not have a good solution for. We have everything working just need the finishing touches to get everything (with INSTEON) working in unison.

Michel

Insteon with Zwave locks...Patiently waiting.

#11 rossarmstrong

rossarmstrong

Intermediate

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:57 PM

Hello hbsh01,

Michel

Michel,

I would be great if you could possibly add thermostats to that list as well.

I installed the GE Simon wireless system partly because I could link Trane zwave thermostats and get connectivity through the Alarm.com internet monitoring capability.

Of course this was BEFORE I added the ISY-99i to my insteon system!

But then again, there appears to be some newer insteon models that may be better than the original Venstars.

Either way, keep up the great work!

Regards,

Ross Armstrong

#12 Michel Kohanim

Michel Kohanim

Site Admin

• Administrators
  • 775 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

Mr. Armstrong,

Trane thermostats are OEMed from RCS and RCS thermostat support is on our list.

With kind regards,
Michel

UDI Tech Support
Universal Devices Inc.

#13 rossarmstrong

rossarmstrong

Intermediate

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:52 AM

Excellent news Michel!

Once you release your Zwave support, an upgrade of my ISY-99i to the 994i will definitely be in order.

Best regards,

Ross Armstrong

#14 ronsatter

ronsatter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

Hi Folks

I'm trying to figure out how to add an IRIS Smart Plug to a Vera Lite controller. It must be something simple, but it's not just a single push of the activation button while in Pairing Mode with the Vera controller.

Has anyone tried to add this device to a Vera Lite controller from Micasaverde.com ?

Ron

#15 mschaefe

mschaefe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:26 AM

I think I'll bump this to the top.

I went to Lowe's yesterday and they are selling a lot of devices and they are similar or cheaper prices than SmartHome. The display has a bunch of devices (outlets, switches, motion sensors, open/close sensors, thermostats, locks) that all have a "compatible with Iris" logo on them. I'm wondering if they are standard z-wave devices, or whether they are somehow crippled/modified to work only with Iris.

The open/close sensor would be neat because I have a window-mounted whole house fan that I use to either heat up the house in the Fall (outside temp > inside temp) or cool down in the Summer (outside temp < inside temp), but it can only run when the window is open. I could even send a text when the fan should be running, but the window is closed.

#16 PurdueGuy

PurdueGuy

Advanced

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:57 AM

The Lowes system is a hybrid Z-Wave and Zigbee. The GE switches are definitely Z-Wave and should work.
Most (maybe all) of the sensors are Zigbee, I believe. I did see some posts that the Thermostat is Z-Wave.

ISY994i

- Z-Wave, Network & Climate modules

- MobiLinc Connect/MobiLinc HD

Vera3

- HomeWave

- handles multichannel Z-Wave items (for now)

RaspberryPi running DSCLink

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users