OK, I've found the problem, but have run into another issue I need feedback on...
The upstairs insteon thermostat adapter was apparently creating a broadcast storm, which in turn was affecting other wireless communication (though strangely, it did not seem to affect remotelinc operation). When I removed the upstairs stat adapter, the crazy traffic on the access points ceased (I had forgotten that steady light on access point is normal - I was seeing a dark light with occasional flickers, so presumably the flickers were the only time traffic was NOT flowing...).
I was then able to add the downstairs stat back to the system and see / control it.
I have since reinstalled the upstairs stat adapter and it is working as well, but wonder if I should get it replaced under warranty (it is only a month old).
However, my feedback question regards the access points. I removed them all and tried to add back following the documentation, but had a dickens of a time finding a way to get the first 2 to work, even though I was plugging them into the same outlets that they were in previously (and should be on opposite legs of house wiring). I finally got 2 to work, but any others I plugged in after that still blinked instead of solid bright light. I finally gave up and just plugged them in after the 1st one was back to normal mode. Don't know if they are doing me any good like this. Ideas?
OK, I've followed your steps below. No success. I've also noticed that ever since this problem started, I am seeing a lot of activity (blips) on the LED of the access point(s), whereas before there was very little activity.
What would you suggest doing next?
Michel Kohanim wrote:
The error is related to communications between ISY and the thermostats so please do NOT take any drastic measures such as restoring/factory resetting ISY and such!
1. Do you have any other RF devices? If so, can ISY communicate with them (e.g. Motion Sensors)?
2. Do you have any problems communicating with other devices?
This is what I would do because I suspect that one of your Access Points (or the PLM) has gone bad:
1. Remove the thermostat from ISY
2. Do a factory reset on it (very important)
3. Make sure the thermostat is in Off mode
4. Use Link Management | Start Linking and press and hold the set button on your thermostat
If this fails, remove Access Points one at a time starting with those that do NOT bridge phases. Stop when you have only two left and those are the ones that bridge phases. Each time you remove an Access Point, retry adding the thermostat. If they all fail, then replace the remaining two Access Points with others that are now unplugged.
It's quite unlikely that both of your thermostats could become defective. And since I have presumed that you do not have this problem with other devices, then i hope I am correct about my suspicion of faulty APs.
Also, in many cases I have seen TOO MANY APs are actually detrimental rather than helpful.
With kind regards,