New router that supports zwave and zigbee

arw01

cruising kickstart this morning and came across the project for the almond+:

Which apparently has a product on Amazon already for a router with good reviews.

What caught my eye was promise of an API and inclusion of both Zigbee and Zwave integration, no insteon though (unless they get to a million in pledges). But perhaps with the API, one might be able to get their Zwave support, Zigbee support, and presence that some of you have hacked into your DD-wrt routers. The show it as a full GCC toolchain, so some real programming would be necessary vs our click and point if then else, but sounds promising it could update the ISY.

Also says it can work as a Home Automation hub.

I'm in the wait and see mode. Lets see if they survive past their initial round of funding. In my humble opinion HA is about making lives easier and convenience. A touch screen device located on a book shelf or permanently mounted on a wall means i need multiple units located throughout the home. Living room, theater, kitchen, one on every floor, etc. raises the entry cost barrier, complexity, and means I have to get up off the couch to use it. I prefer a mobile touch device which is always within reach and can be used in any room.

As I have commented on other forums, the next 2 years we will see a lots of companies putting an ARM CPU in a pretty box with wifi and HA control. Most will charge a monthly recurring extortion fee for the privilege of controlling ones home, if not initially, eventually when they can't turn a profit or their investors force them to. So what will you be left with when 99% of these companies go bankrupt after they bleed their KS funds dry? A door stop and hopefully some devices you can reuse with some other HA controller.

There are two basic criteria I use for any new piece of technology I introduce in my home. One, can it be controlled via my mobile device? Two, is their a recurring extortion fee?

Archived