How to diagnose a "ALL ON' event trigger?

slee29

Newbie to the forum. I've had a ISY994IR PRO installed for about 2 1/2 months now. Thanks to this forum's members and the UDI wiki I've managed to get a number of programs and devices working to the household's satisfaction. This install now has 54 Insteon devices with about 10 to go. Thanks again to all the of the forum's contributors for taking the time to bring the rest of us along.

BUT now I have a show stopper and need assistance in diagnosing: Twice in the last three days something (program/IR/device?) has triggered every device in the home to turn ON. When I look at the detail event view (level 3) I do not see pages of DON commands to individual devices. I do see responders reacting to the ON events. The general event log does not indicate anything but the responders reacting to this mystery ALL ON event.

Is there a general Insteon "ALL ON" command and how would I find the trigger to that event? Is there a way this can be generally disabled? The triggering of the garage door relays is going to kill this whole project and force me to put the control of that critical element somewhere else (Elk MK1?).

When every device reacts it is likely a Scene containing all the devices was directed to turn On. The QueryAll Program that runs a 3AM uses a Scene the ISY generated internally to Query all the devices. This Scene should not be used for anything other than the 3AM Query.

Was the event trace at LEVEL 3 saved that shows all the devices reacting? It should have the command issued that initiated the process.

EDIT: Insteon does not have an All On command that every device is programmed to react to. The only way to get mass device reaction is to send an On command to a Scene that has those devices. The RemoteLinc has an All On button but that controls only those devices that have been linked to the RemoteLinc buttons.

Was the event trace at LEVEL 3 saved that shows all the devices reacting? It should have the command issued that initiated the process.

I blew it last night when I had the chance to save the level 3 event log. The JRE was locked up this morning and I could not save the log. I won't make that mistake again IF I get another chance.

Thanks for the hints. Now I'm looking thru my programs for any instance of ISY controller-level scene adjustments or any scene that might include all 54+ devices.

The general event log makes it appear that a motion detector's sensor ON status triggered a program that turned on the scene "Garage Lights". The garage lights scene has a SwitchLinc (on the load) with four additional linked KPL controllers. This log does not give a clear picture of all the devices that were possibly activated by the "garage lights" scene.

• Garage Lights On 255 Mon 2013/03/25 08:00:11 PM Program Log

Scene:Main Floor / Exterior / Garage Lights On 255 Mon 2013/03/25 08:00:11 PM Program Log

ALL LIGHTS IN THE HOUSE TURNED ON AT THIS POINT

Main Floor / Kitchen / Kitchen_KP8A Kitchen Cans / Kitchen_KP8G Garage Door1 Status 100% Mon 2013/03/25 08:00:13 PM System Log

Office-KP8A-Office Lights / Office-KP8G-Garage 1 Status 100% Mon 2013/03/25 08:00:13 PM System Log

Dining-KP61-Dining Cans / Dining-KP6B-GarageDoor Status 100% Mon 2013/03/25 08:00:13 PM System Log

Office-KP61 Fan Lights / Office-KP6B Garage Status 100% Mon 2013/03/25 08:00:13 PM System Log

Main Floor / Main Hall / Main Foyer-KP8A-Cans / Main Foyer-KP8G-Garage1 Status 100% Mon 2013/03/25 08:00:13 PM System Log

Main Floor / Main Hall / Main Hall-KP8A-Cans / Main Hall-KP8.G-Garage1 Status 100% Mon 2013/03/25 08:00:13 PM System Log

Main Floor / Exterior / Garage Lights KP6.1 / Garage KP6.C Door One Status 100% Mon 2013/03/25 08:00:13 PM System Log

The ISY Log indicates there are 7 Responders in the Scene (some or all of which could be Controllers). The devices do not directly ACK the Scene On so the ISY marks the Controllers/Responders of the Scene as the ISY thinks the devices should have reacted.

The one thing that does stand out is the event is started by a Motion Sensor. Being an RF device it sends multiple messages when motion is detected which might be conflicting with the Scene On the Program initiated. I suggest one of two things, either add a 2 second wait at the beginning of the Program before it issues the Scene On or make the Motion Sensor a Controller of the Scene so the Motion Sensor turns the Scene devices On directly. The later approach could involve more than just making the Motion Sensor a Controller as the Motion Sensor may be sending Off commands which might not be desirable. Perhaps adding the Wait first and see if the resolves the problem.

Would also like to see an event trace at LEVEL 3 if you happen to collect a trace of another All On.

The ISY Log indicates there are 7 Responders in the Scene (some or all of which could be Controllers). The devices do not directly ACK the Scene On so the ISY marks the Controllers/Responders of the Scene as the ISY thinks the devices should have reacted.

The one thing that does stand out is the event is started by a Motion Sensor. Being an RF device it sends multiple messages when motion is detected which might be conflicting with the Scene On the Program initiated. I suggest one of two things, either add a 2 second wait at the beginning of the Program before it issues the Scene On or make the Motion Sensor a Controller of the Scene so the Motion Sensor turns the Scene devices On directly. The later approach could involve more than just making the Motion Sensor a Controller as the Motion Sensor may be sending Off commands which might not be desirable. Perhaps adding the Wait first and see if the resolves the problem.

Would also like to see an event trace at LEVEL 3 if you happen to collect a trace of another All On.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Adding the 2 second delay is not an option since the wife acceptance level would be zero. :D

I'm going to try the MD as a scene controller with no OFF commands. I will use a program to time the lights out. Sure wish I would have hit the SAVE LOG last night!

Archived