Programming a FanLinc and KeypadLinc

mfranzel

I _still_ can not get these products working togther. Even when I remove everything about the remote control and then follow the official steps to sync the fanlink and keypad link: http://support.insteon.com/customer/portal/articles/1841919-isy-configuring-keypadlinc-with-fanlinc it does not work! I press the fan low button on my keypad and the fan does not turn on! But then the fan is already off an I press the fan off button and it turns on at full blast. I've already contacted support and await a response, but why can there be proper documentation on how to make these products work?

The instructions are not easy and one error can cause unexpected results. So lets start with one scene-High.

Select the High scene, click on the +. What devices are in that scene? Which device(s) are controllers (in red), which are responders (in blue)?

Chris932,

I add also that the instructions you used will work fine so long that the keypad is the only method you ever use to control the fan. Should you ever desire to turn on the fan via a program or another device or via some app, I expect that yoy will find that the keypad lights will not stay in sync.

Is his support site by smarthome (I am not sure I have ever seen it)? If you are using the ISY controller, you may be better off using the universal devices wiki, where you can find user guides and articles for common use cases, including a ceiling fan example.

I don't see any guide on the ISY wiki for the fanlink product. Support replied back that I should set it up like it was before... which also was not working. It is very strange that I press the button on the keypad and the fan does not turn on, then then when I view the status on the ISY it shows that all the buttons are on, even if I query the keypad, but only one button on the keypad is on.  :shock:

Chris932,

I add also that the instructions you used will work fine so long that the keypad is the only method you ever use to control the fan. Should you ever desire to turn on the fan via a program or another device or via some app, I expect that yoy will find that the keypad lights will not stay in sync.

Is his support site by smarthome (I am not sure I have ever seen it)? If you are using the ISY controller, you may be better off using the universal devices wiki, where you can find user guides and articles for common use cases, including a ceiling fan example.

I don't know about the referred to link, but I use Keypads, Mini Remotes and programs th control the fan's speed and everything is in sync.

Setting the level of the speed buttons other than the controller button to 0% creates mutually exclusive buttons. Do not use buttons Grouping as problems can arise if you need to change those settings.

I don't see any guide on the ISY wiki for the fanlink product. Support replied back that I should set it up like it was before... which also was not working. It is very strange that I press the button on the keypad and the fan does not turn on, then then when I view the status on the ISY it shows that all the buttons are on, even if I query the keypad, but only one button on the keypad is on.  :shock:

Chris932, I apologize.  I was, apparently, remembering things that did not exist.  The user manual and wiki are definitely a good resource, but I cannot find a specific example regarding fanlincs.

The problem, oftentimes, with smarthome instructions, is that they are often based without automation in mind.  The instructions that come with the insteon devices are all based on having no controller and linking devices directly (manually).  The problem with the instructions you linked is that relying on the mutually exclusive relationship (called "radio buttons" in the keypad manual) will cause the keypad to become out of sync when you want to control the fan via another method, such as a second device, from the ISY control panel, ISY program, mobile app, etc...  You see, the radio button relationship is enforced only when manual presses on that specific keypad are used.  Otherwise, the buttons are free to get out of sync.

Stusview started to hit on the issue.  In this case, I believe it best NOT to use the mutually exclusive options here, and handle the button relationships via scenes.  You will also have to put the buttons into non-toggle (ON) mode. 

I am out of time, but I hope you are making progress and this little hint helps.  Otherwise, I will be back.

• 3 months later...

Still unable to get this working properly! The fanlink was defecting (what a surprise), I replaced it now now if I control the scenese from the ISY everything works properly... but if I control the scene from the keypadlink the fan off, low, and medium buttons all turn the fan to be full speed

ATby7Vo.png

• 1 month later...

Am I just crazy, or can you not set a FanLinc as a controller in a scene? Trying to get it to turn on the light on the corresponding KPL buttons?

Thanks

Given that you (usually) can't get to the buttons on a FanLinc when it's installed, how would it be a controller?

If you want to be able to set the speed of a FanLinc (directly in an app or Admin Console), and have a KPL light up to indicate the speed, you can't do that.  You need to use a scene and program.

http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/19599-alexa-and-the-fanlinc/?hl=speed&do=findComment&comment=184684

Archived