Savant and Insteon Integration

ryanmc

Hi I am adding Savant to my home to replace my existing automation system. I already have installed a Smart Home Insteon lighting system that is controlled by the Universal Devices ISY-99i. Here are the things I am wanting from my Insteon integration with Savant and I am hoping someone can tell me the best way to get this solution.

I want to view all Devices from Savant iPads

I want to view not only dimmers, but the 6 and 8 button keypads along with their respective buttons corresponding to rooms or scenes

I would like there to be two way information from savant and Insteon meaning:

•If I turn on a scene from a Savant iPad I want to see the status of those dimmers update on the screen (this, Im sure will happen)

•If I go to a room and manually change the level of a dimmer I want to see that update on Savant screens (maybe requires polling, maybe depends on method of integration, I'm ok with a 2-3 minute update time if it has to poll)

Now I am questioning the best integration method to achieve what I want (and more if possible). Looks like Savant uses the Insteon 2413S for RS232 control (looks like that doesnt support status updates, but I might be wrong). It also shows it uses the 2412N for IP control (this might offer two way status updates, but looks like it might be slower and not offer scene control).

Since I am using the Universal Devices ISY 99i, I have setup my scenes there internally. I am pretty sure though that once I load the scenes onto the devices (as I already have) that it will download those straight to the keypads, so the 99i might not have to be in place for the system to work. That being said I am not sure if those Scenes will show their links in the 2413S or 2412N respectively.

Is there a way to integrate with the ISY 99i directly through IP?

I have also seen a post of some people using Indigo (software ran on mac to control Insteon Network) and then they have that integrated with Savant somehow. If I used Indigo would I be able to achieve everything I'm looking for? Could I run Indigo on the Savant Host so as to not have 2 apple computers running my automation?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, trying to brainstorm all the possibilities before I commit myself to anything

Archived