Insteon 220V Load Controller Turning off an on at random

jcgrim

First time poster here, thank you everyone for the great information and posts, normally I can find all I need by searching and not repeating a question so hopefully this isn't a repeat.

I have a Insteon 220V Load Controller (normally open) controlling my pool pump. My house is wired like this: 30 AMP service from my main circuit breaker to the back pool area where there is another circuit breaker. From there the circuit breaker controls the pool pump, pool lights and outside outlet. Inside this circuit breaker there was a timer controller contolling my pool pump. Per the instructions I took out the timer and replaced it with the load controller to control from my ISY-99i. I have about 25 other switches, etc located throughout the house and 2 Access Points.

Here's my problem: During the day the Load Controller is set to turn on the pool pump for around 10 hours. At random the load controller turns off (no lights on the load controller) then it comes back on a couple minutes later. The times of day and how long it stays off seem to be random and sometimes it turns off and turns right back on. It seems to do this more often on really hot days but that may just be my imagination.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Noise. I'm willing to bet you have some noisy device on the line (maybe the pump itself while on?) . I don't know the firmware version of the 220v load controllers, but I just finished (well 1/2 fixed more parts on order) fixing a very similar problem where some of my devices would come on 'at random'. All of the devices were older relay (on/off) switches and all of them at some time would respond to a 'scene on' command that was not directed at it. Turns out I had a syncrolink setup wrong and it generated LOTS of extra insteon messages and since I had a noisy TV without a filter (now fixed) they seem to have gotten garbled before the relays received them (they acted on the garbled message)

I found it by looking at the log and realizing when the device I was troubleshooting did its 'thing' there was a scene command immediately before it in the log. Any chance you know some exact times so you can look at the log as well?

Thanks for the reply. So I took a look at the logs and the logs only show the events of it turning on on schedule and then turning off on schedule. Even though it turns off and back on mid day sometimes a couple times a day there isn't a log of it going off or coming back on....

hello jcgrim,

There has been several other threads about 240V load controllers failing when powering pool pumps.

Heat could certainly be your issue.

These devices are not rated for very high temperatures and if located in an enclosed area that gets hot, on a hot day, they could fail as you have mentioned.

Could be an intermittently failing device where added heat forces it over the edge.

Since there are no lights on the device it sounds like a complete failure / hardware issue as opposed to noise.

Archived