Best iPad/iPhone Integration Remote App?

matapan

I'm interested in integrating control of everything in ISY with all my A/V stuff, along with iTunes/Airplay.

Does anyone have any suggestion for the best remote for this purpose? I've tried Roomie, but didn't particularly like the integration with ISY supplied with it - seems rather primitive, not sure how to call programs and such.

It would be nice to be able to pull/poll state information about Insteon devices, ala a dedicated app like Mobilinc Pro, while adding the traditional universal remote control stuff that Roomie or something similar provides.

• 1 month later...

I've been playing with iRule & Demopad. Each has advantages & disadvantages...

I initially didn't try demopad because I wasn't impressed with their App Store page. Don't let those graphics dissuade you. You can customize the graphics to anything you want.

Demopad is by far the more capable of the two with two major drawbacks - (1) it is not capable of soliciting feedback of any kind through http, much less https; and (2) it takes considerably more work to set up. It does, however, offer feedback through subscription services on your local network which is far superior to what I have been able to implement with iRule. IRule feedback is achieved by sending a command to request status when required. This is not fast or efficient but can be done using SSL.

Demopad is more customizable as well. But this comes at a price - much more work to learn. iRule has a easily configurable /shareable database of device codes and graphics whereas Demopad's resources seem to be lacking.

The Demopad software is downloaded to and run off your computer. iRule builder configures your device online. I have had some issues with the Demopad software crashing on occasion which can be quite frustrating.

Demopad is free to try w/ their lite app. It will show you what you can accomplish through their builder; it just won't let you send commands.

If you need to use an app remotely (using https), I haven't been successful in finding the perfect app. If you are going to be controlling ISY locally, I would recommend Demopad over iRule purely for the better feedback capabilities.

I will be watching this thread with the hopes someone else has discovered that perfect app...

PS - I haven't tried iRule's ISY module, but have been able to achieve the commands to control and solicit ISY feedback (including lights, elk, variables) without it. It is my understanding the module only simplifies setting all of this and gives you the ability to use sliders for control. I don't believe it uses subscription services. I have asked these questions of iRule support, but can't say that I am 100% confident in the answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Well.. I found this topic from almost 2 years ago but that's just what I was looking for....

I always searched for a good user interface to operate with ISY but was never succeeded... A  few days ago I met iRule On Controls and was very surprised. 

Does anyone had ever tried to integrate On Controls with Isy? I see that iRule has some issues but On Controls seems to be a iRule upgraded. Am I right?

From 2 years ago, what itens can we list to compare iRule On Controls and Demopad?

Archived