Adjust scene or separate scene?

EricK

Hello,

We leave the chandelier for our stairs on 24/7. I have two scenes, stairs 90% with the switchlinc and a kpl as controllers. There is a stairs 50% scene with the switchlinc and kpl as responders. The light are adjusted by the following programs, 90% at Sunrise + 1 hour:

If
       Time is Sunrise +  1 hour 

Then
       Set Scene 'Hall and Foyer / Hallway Stairs 90%' On

Else
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

In case the lights are adjusted during the day, they are set to go to 90% an hour before sunset until 9PM:

If
       From    Sunset  -  1 hour 
       To       8:59:54PM (same day)

Then

Else

Finally, from 9PM until the morning, 50%:

If
       From     9:00:03PM
       To      Sunrise + 59 minutes and 57 seconds (next day)

Then
       Set Scene 'Hall and Foyer / Hallway Stairs 50%' On

Else

Since the local buttons set the lights to 90%, I have the following program to bring the lights to 50%:

If
       Control 'Hall and Foyer / Hallway KPL8 - A - Hallway / Hallway KPL8 - B - Stairs' is switched Fast On
    Or Control 'Hall and Foyer / Hallway KPL8 - A - Hallway / Hallway KPL8 - B - Stairs' is switched Fast Off
    Or Control 'Hall and Foyer / Hallway Stairs' is switched Fast On

Then
       Wait  3 seconds

Else

Default on level is 90%.  Double tap on or off to go to 50%.

If the switchlinc or KPL are double tapped on the lights go to 100%, then ramp down to 50%. If the KPL is double tapped off, then the lights turn off, then ramp up to 50%. The kids sleep with their doors open, which is why sometimes I want to get the lights down to 50%, although getting them to bed before 9 is a rarity.

Is this the best way to handle things. Should I use an adjust scene instead of separate scenes. Does it make a difference if I combine the first two programs into one.

Thanks,

Eric

I've read the programs, but I am not exactly sure what you want. Can you describe that without programs?

This is what your programs do:

A) At sunrise + 1 hr, set it to 90%

B) At sunset - 1 hr, set to 90%

C) At 9 PM, set to 50%

D) If you run the KPL fast on/off or the stairs fast off, set to 50%

If those are running as you want, then you could combine A + B into:

If
       Time is Sunrise +  1 hour 
    Or Time is Sunset  -  1 hour 

Then

Else

However, if your real desire is something different, like:

A) From Sunrise+1hr to Sunset-1hr, keep the lights at 90%

B) From Sunset-1hr to Sunrise+1hr, keep the lights at 50%

that would be a different set of programs.

Is this the best way to handle things.

This is the way I would do it. I suspect that this cannot be done by scene, alone, so programs are the way. Yes, this could probably be done with fewer programs, and purdueguy has one good suggestion.

Should I use an adjust scene instead of separate scenes.

No, not based on what you state that you want to happen. The "adjust scene"command would be if you are trying to change ON levels of a scene for a given controller. If, for example, you wanted to have the KPL scene controller turn on the lights to 50% at certain times of the day, and 90% at other times of the day, then you would use the "adjust scene" command.

Should I use an adjust scene instead of separate scenes.

No, not based on what you state that you want to happen. The "adjust scene"command would be if you are trying to change ON levels of a scene for a given controller. If, for example, you wanted to have the KPL scene controller turn on the lights to 50% at certain times of the day, and 90% at other times of the day, then you would use the "adjust scene" command.

Thank you for the responses.

I'll have to think about this. Really the only time I manually adjust the lights is at night if I want to bring them down to 50% a little earlier than the program does. For this reason I should probably use adjust scene at night. The way I have it set up I can go to 90% with a button or switch press or 50% with double presses.

The part that does not work well is if I double press the switch on then the lights go to 100 then down to 50. If I double press the Kpl, which would be a double off, the lights turn off then go back to 50. Probably what I should do is add fade down for the controls in my fourth program.

Eric

Lee,

Do I just need to add the fade stop to the if (last two lines in the if section):

If
       Control 'Hall and Foyer / Hallway KPL8 - A - Hallway / Hallway KPL8 - B - Stairs' is switched Fast On
    Or Control 'Hall and Foyer / Hallway KPL8 - A - Hallway / Hallway KPL8 - B - Stairs' is switched Fast Off
    Or Control 'Hall and Foyer / Hallway Stairs' is switched Fast On
    Or Control 'Hall and Foyer / Hallway Stairs' is switched Fade Stop
    Or Control 'Hall and Foyer / Hallway KPL8 - A - Hallway / Hallway KPL8 - B - Stairs' is switched Fade Stop

Then
       Wait  3 seconds

Else

Default on level is 90%.  Double tap on or off to go to 50%.

Thanks,

Eric

Archived