Humidity Sensor in a Humidor

Scottmichaelj

I have a small humidor for a few of my cuban cigars. I rarely smoke, so I always forget to add water to my humidor. It would be nice to have a small humidity sensor report to the isy so when the variable reached under my specified target I get a notification. Anyone else do something this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm in a similar situation.

We have a console humidifier (14 gpd unit) that uses those wicking filters. I've set up a float valve on it so that it is always full of water.

After 2-3 months the filters get saturated enough with calcium deposits that they need to be changed; but we never pay attention because it always has water.

Our solution is using the thermostat. The Insteon Thermostats have humidity sensors on them (I think the Z Wave does also) that is a variable you can access on ISY.

I have a disabled program that just sends a notification after 24 hours.

If
       Time is 11:55:00PM

Then
       Wait  23 hours 
       Send Notification to 'Admin' content 'Humidity Warning'

Else
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Then this program will enable / disable the program based on humidity:

If
       Status  'Thermostat- Main' < 50% (Humidity)

Then
       Enable Program 'Humidity Notify'
       Set Program 'Humidity Notify' To Run At Startup

Else
       Disable Program 'Humidity Notify'
       Set Program 'Humidity Notify' To Not Run At Startup

Some other things to note:

You could get a humidity sensor (such as with the 1 wire bus) and use that instead.

Also, if you are worried about the water getting low and you can't do a float like in mine, you may be able to hook up a leak sensor. Your program would trigger if a leak was not detected due to the water getting low and then you could fill it.

Archived