Monitor Internet Connection and Reboot Router

raymondh

Is there a way to have the ISY monitor the internet connection and if there is no connection, reboot the router?  Every once in a while something happens that causes the router to lose connection an a reboot fixes it.  This is for a vacation home so if the connection is lost, I have to wait until I'm there next to fix it.

If you use a residential grade internet router that supports dd-wrt then it can be scripted directly on the router for free. Many many residential routers support dd-wrt which is an open source replacement for the firmware of the device. It's a linux kernel so you can script pretty much anything you want. Several versions have a similar feature built in or you can create your own shell script to do that. Shell scrips are a foreign language for most folks but the typical things you'd want to do have been done already by others so the scripts are available and could be used with only minor changes.

That would be my approach vs the smart power strip since you'll also get other useful features like secure remote VPN access and the ability to write other scripts to do anything like you such as sending you an email if the ISY quits responding for whatever reason. Or could could combine the smart power strip with the dd-wrt to solve a variety of problems together.

You could have a heartbeat put on your router that sends a REST request to the ISY.  The ISY could then take action if it does not receive the update (router failure) or the router sends a failed ping (internet failure).  As others have mentioned, this is likely something best to leave on the router though.

I have kind of the same problem,I have a customer that has internet but I lost connection to the ISY.I have to reboot to remote access.I have one of those internet power strips I could install but I would like to find out what the problem is.My ISY does it occasionally but this particular one does it often.I will be on site tomorrow and post results.

Tim

Archived