Using Keypad buttons as indicators of ELK status

telljcl

I am having trouble getting a (or any) keypad button to light up (not a programmed button) to show status of some dynamic status - in this case, the status of an ELK zone (short or open).

EDIT:  I think the problem is with using Voltage or "physical status" in my programs, as opposed to "violated" or "secure" - see my post 2 below - Thanks!

I've made a scene with the keypad button as a responder, and made a program which says "if ELK zone 1 status is not "open" then turn off scene 1".

Another says "if elk zone 1 status is "open" then turn on scene 1".

If I run the "then" lines manually, the light goes on or off.  It's as if the ISY doesn't run the program constantly, if at all - how do I need to write this?

ELK works fine and status shows up in ISY - been configured for years.

Hope this makes sense - thanks.

Thanks,

I think the problem may be because I'm trying to get 3 states out of one zone (quasi-analog I guess - 0volts, 7volts, 13volts).

ISY seems to recognize "Violated" or "Secure" very quickly - as you indicate.  I'm using this in a few programs myself.

The issue seems to be detecting "physical status" or "voltage" in programs. 

For example, "If zone 1 voltage is >1.0 volts..."

I find this doesn't get detected unless I manually poll the ELK zone page in the ISY admin screen.  Maybe it gets detected at some point, but it is not anywhere near real-time - sometimes 5 minutes or a lot more.

The fix I guess is to use more zones, more wires, to determine what is going on with my HVAC unit, but I'd like to use less.

Also a little cumbersome to use relays to convert 24vac signals to "short" or "open" so I can read status with ELK / ISY.  Anybody know of either a better way to do this or know of, say, a 4 channel solid state micro relay board that has 24vac "coils"?  Everything that is small and power efficient seems to be 5vdc or 12vdc.

Thanks for any insight

Archived