Dash Box - State Variables now supported!

Teken

Along the same lines...

I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade my GEM and ISY to Zigbee...

With ZigBee, would the ISY be updated with new values every 8 sec (how often my GEM pushed new readers to the Dashbox) as opposed to 1 min, which is how the Dashbox seems to aggregate?

Are there other advantages with using ZigBee? I assume it will look prettier in the ISY compared to the state variables...

Thanks,

Bert

Hi,

I hav a problem pushing the GEM channels to the ISY as variables.

I setup this: 'enabled', ISY IP address, port 80, user/password, default 30 sec refreshh

I requested to push 2 channels to the ISY, but the variables are not showing up in the ISY.

Do I need to pre-create the variables? I did that but still no values are beng pushed.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Bert

Hello Bert,

1. Is the Dash Box (DB) in fact assigned and using port 80? Ideally you should be using another port for the DB other than port 80 as its normally reserved for general Internet traffic.

2. The State Variable(s) you created must have the same (ID Number) on the left hand side of the ISY and match the number you created in the DB.

Along the same lines...

I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade my GEM and ISY to Zigbee...

With ZigBee, would the ISY be updated with new values every 8 sec (how often my GEM pushed new readers to the Dashbox) as opposed to 1 min, which is how the Dashbox seems to aggregate?

Are there other advantages with using ZigBee? I assume it will look prettier in the ISY compared to the state variables...

Thanks,

Bert

If you upgrade your ISY Series Controller to Zigbee the data that streams into the unit will follow what ever send interval you have set in the GEM.

So, in this case it would be every 8 seconds.

You should know the lowest send interval to ensure reliability of the ISY Series Controller should be no less than 10 seconds. If you upgrade the ISY Series Controller you will be able to take advantage of Watts, Current, KWH, Polarized, Volts, etc values directly from the interface with out the need to create complex programs.

The DB is preset to send to SEG every 60 seconds as this has been found to be the best balance of accuracy and ingestion of data. A range of 30-60 seconds is best when dealing with sending data to SEG.

Using the Zigbee interface provides faster and more accurate energy readings when compared to using State Variables. If you were to compare the two methods to monitor power you will notice that often times the (instantaneous) values are either far short or not received on a timely fashion.

Regardless of the send interval you have set.

From my personal experience using the Zigbee vs State Variables, Zigbee is more accurate when mission critical monitoring is the goal.

UDI has just recently resolved a long standing issue of out of band power readings being declared by the system. I expect this patch to be integrated into the next 4.XX / 5.XX in the future. I mention this because as far as I am aware this patch is not included in the last 4.2.30 build so please be aware of this.

Using the DB via State Variables allows all channels to be monitored and acted upon via programs as I indicated in the first thread. Since you already have the DB you will have the best of both worlds and can make use of both systems moving forward like I do.

If there is anything else please do let me know. 

Teken,

Thanks for you clear replies.

My problem was that I typed a nice variable name instead of a variable number :)   I did not complain...   And in the "view last ISY post", my nice variable names nicely showed up :)

I'm going to see how well these variables work for me before I decide to upgrade to ZigBee.

Bert

Teken,

Thanks for you clear replies.

My problem was that I typed a nice variable name instead of a variable number :)   I did not complain...   And in the "view last ISY post", my nice variable names nicely showed up :)

I'm going to see how well these variables work for me before I decide to upgrade to ZigBee.

Bert

Hello Bert,

Good to hear you got it all sorted out. As a side note please do ensure your DB / GEM is using the latest firmware. This will provide the most features and resolves several minor bugs as development continues.

Archived