FanLinc With Hunter Ceiling Fan/Light

dbuss

We have several Hunter ceiling fan/lights(model 25734) in our home that are controlled with Hunter remotes. The remotes are starting to fail and I would like to replace them with FanLincs.

I have attached pictures of the remote transmitter receiver and nine pin plug that plugs into the receiver.

Will FanLinc work with this ceiling fan?

post-5480-0-46742500-1407542518_thumb.jpg

post-5480-0-86287900-1407542533_thumb.jpg

post-5480-0-93017400-1407542545_thumb.jpg

We have a fan with the same remote that's failed.  I think it was something in the fan that failed though and not the remote.  At this point I just hard wired the light so the wall switch controls that since we rarely used the fan anyway.  I did find someone who had reverse engineered the wiring but I didn't experiment with the fan to see if I could get a FanLinc to interface with it.  It was on the todo list but pretty low priority.

dbuss,

In most cases you have to strip out all of the control to the bare minimum.  A set of common and hot wires to the light and a set of common and hot wires to the fan.  If the fan is a multi tapped motor with a separate wire for each speed then you need to connect the fanlinc to the high speed wire.  All of this comes with no guarantee but it has been done before and it will be done by others again. 

the two common wires from the fan and light go together along with the white wire for the fanlinc and the neutral wire coming into the box.  Then the fan wire of the fanlinc goes to the high speed winding wire off the fan or if it only has one hot wire to the fan than that one.  The other wire left over from the fanlinc goes to the light. 

Does the fan have a slide switch to reverse the direction? Can you find the two motor wires? If so, is one of the wires white? Do you have a specific model number?

I appreciate all the information. Upon further investigation and experimenting I have found that the large black and white wires in the picture supply the power to the fan and light from the junction box. I cut three of the smaller wires one at a time and tested the fan to see what happened. The fan would not work on any of the three speeds after each of the wires was cut. When I connected each wire again the fan would turn on and work normally. Any ideas on if the FanLinc will work and how I can determine which fan wire I need to connect power to? Thanks!!

dbuss,

Once again this would not considered an approved installation for that product based on your description.  It isn't meant to be installed in a unit where you need to wire around a pre-existing speed controller.  Since this is not our product I can only offer a suggestion.  If you are committed to work with that fan then you will need to connect the Fan Leg of the triggerlinc it to the High Speed winding of the fan..

• 1 year later...

I have a harbor breeze ceiling fan that has a DC motor and a RF remote control to control the light and fan. I had purchased a fanlinc with the 6 button keypad without realizing that the fan's motor was DC.

After looking at a few threads about controlling DC fans with a fanlinc is seems that will not be an option for me.

Is there something that does IP to RF? Something that could learn the remote's commands and then be controlled with the ISY using the network module.

Just throwing it out there, it seems the trend in ceiling fans is to have proprietary remotes and controllers. Making it practically impossible to incorporate into any home automation.

Something that would be able to learn the commands from the remote would be the smoothest way to control the fan in my opinion.

Hopefully someone has an elegant solution. :)

Steve

There's a power supply in the fan itself -- the big advantage (at least the big one for me) of a DC fan motor is that it's completely quiet at low speeds - no audible hum at all.  I understand they're also more energy efficient, but I confess that given how little it actually runs I can't see that being a feature that justifies the extra cost).

Mine too has the proprietary RF remote, which just sucks because everything else in this room is automated.  The only remaining solution that I'm planning to try, as soon as I find a low-cost used remote for that fan on eBay, is to solder a few wires to the remote and connect them to the relay on an IOLinc.  I can accept one speed on/off, so that'll work for me.

I did some web surfing and found the fan you have.

That is a unique fan. Sales data says  DC motor with many speed choices.

Most use an AC fan motor that can be reversed and used AC rated capacitors or multiple winding's to vary the speed.

Unfortunately, yes I am sure. I originally though I could just replace the controller in the fan canopy with the fanlinc and be off an running but after quite a bit of googling it seems a lot of the fans that are sold by lowes and home depot are now DC motors.

Here's the link to my fan on the lowes site http://www.lowes.com/pd/Harbor-Breeze-Platinum-Kingsbury-70-in-Oil-Rubbed-Bronze-Downrod-Mount-Indoor-Ceiling-Fan-with-Light-Kit-and-Remote-ENERGY-STAR/50057203. Under Specifications it had Motor Type listed as DC. :(

Archived