Using ToggleLink controller in a program

keithhawaii

Is there a way for an ISY program to tell if a light attached to a ToggleLink relay was turned on locally?

I have an Insteon motion sensor (2842-222) mounted looking across my back door.  The outside backdoor light is controlled by a ToggleLink relay (2466S).  I have the ISY994 programmed so that after dusk the light turns on when it sees motion and turns off 10 minutes after not seeing motion.

I would like to include override logic in the program so if the light is turned on using the local ToggleLink switch the absence of motion after 10 minutes won't turn the light back off.

I don't see the switch controller portion of the ToggleLink in the list of Insteon conditions for the ToggleLink device.  Is there a way to tell if the switch on the ToggleLink relay turned the relay on?  

thanks,

Keith

If you are trying to determine specifically whether a switch was turned on directly (as opposed to in response to insteon commands from other devices, for example), you will want to use "Control" in your program.  The problem with using "Status" is that it will respond both direct physical control of a switch, and when the switch changes as a result of being a responder to a scene.

if

control "switch" is turned on

then

do something

Expanding on this a bit, your interest in being able to use a switch to override a motion program is pretty common.  One way is a simple program:

if

control "switch" is turned on

and control "switch" is not turned off

then

nothing

else

nothing

This program will be TRUE any time somebody physically turns "switch" on, and FALSE any time somebody physically turns "switch" off.  This program could then be used as a condition in your motion (that is, the "override" program to halt any countdown timer.

It seems some prefer variables for this.  Perhaps it is easier to visualize

if

control switch is switched on

and control switch is not switched off

then

set variable = 1

else

set variable = 0

You could then use the variables as a condition in your motion sensor program to halt a countdown or to keep it from starting in the first place.

I misread the intent of your question. The solution I use is to wire a Micro Module in parallel with the INSTEON controller and link the sensor as a controller of the Micro Module. As long as the ToggleLinc is on, the Motion Sensor is bypassed. Turning off the ToggleLinc returns control to the sensor.

Archived