Triggering a KPL button as responder clarification needed

ravedog

A program reads kpl button press and does some things then tells button a to Light up or turn off (via a scene that has only that button in it as a responder).

I do not want to use scenes (aside from lighting the button).

So here's my question: when I turn the KPL button A LED to on (or off) via a scene triggered from within a program, is it changing its actual state?

(For these questions I have a separate program that monitors the status of the target device and if it's on it, tells the KPL button a to turn on, if the status is off, then turn KPL button A off.)

Example:

Scenario a) person pushes button A on the KPL. Program interprets the on, turns on lamp A, and KPL led on. Normal thing. (KPL A is now on and so is the led)

Scenario B) KPL Button A is off and led is off. Person turns on lamp A locally, lamp goes on, and program checking status sees it's on and again turns on the KPL LED via a scene (KPL as responder only)

So when you turn on the lamp via the KPL, the KPL is actually in an on state. When I send a command to the KPL via a program that triggers a scene, is it just turning on the LED or is the button state now in on mode too?

I ask this because I want to use my kpl buttons to not only be controllers but reflect the state of the device(s) they control, no matter what turned them on or off. Because my thinking is if KPL button A is off and you now turn on the lamp via other means and the LED Lights up, will the next button press on the KPL be an off command since we turned it on via a scene? If this is the case, it would solve a lot of problems... it would keep multiple remotes in sync without having to put them in no toggle mode or hit the button twice.

I think I'm asking because I see the KPL as a series of virtual buttons that don't really control anything until they Re programmed to do so.

Am I making any sense?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you. I know I over thought it. Easy to Think of devices that connect to a load, but the KPL... Great news.

Again, thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why not use scenes. Make the Kpl button and lamp (lamplinc, outletlinc, etc) controllers of the scene. They will both then control the scene and the Kpl will respond to status changes.

When you use a program, it has to go thru the isy. Scenes work by device to device communication and will typically do so more quickly than a program.

E

Understood. However the devices have to go thru a series of program checks before can actually be turned on or off. My pool lights and spa lights are straight scenes. So those are good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. I tried an experiment.

KPL button a toggle mode. Only responder in a scene by itself.

Program has button a on in if.

Turns on device a.

Other program sees if status of device a is on turn on the scene with KPL button a as a responder. Off if device goes off.

All works.

Now. Locally at KPL turned on a. Device goes on. LED lit

Turned off device via Mobilelinc. Device goes off and KPL button a led went off. Great.

Now if I press the KPL button a now it shows off and it goes on. Just as I wanted. So it keeps in sync with the device state because the program tells the button what the state of the device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived