Glitch that turns on EVERY Insteon device??

mschwab

This glitch happened for (at least) the third time this morning - suddenly EVERY Insteon device in the house turned on at the same instant.  This included every light and fan, my oxygenator, and even our two garage doors opened up!  (From the I/O Lincs)  (I'm just glad I haven't put any space heaters or door locks on Insteon yet!)

It happened twice last weekend, but I waved it off as maybe a power glitch problem, and I didn't note the exact time.

This morning I was just sitting in bed, and I noted the time.  When I checked the ISY log, I can't see any evidence of commands being sent that would turned on all Insteon devices.

I didn't think there even was a "Turn everything one at once" command in Insteon (like there sort of is with X10).

Is this a general problem with Insteon?  Or is the ISY-994i screwing up some how?  This so unacceptable that I may need to give up on the ISY or Insteon or both.

(Firmware: Insteon_UD994 v.4.1.2)

This has been reported as a PLM firmware issue. You can engage Smarthome about obtaining a replacement PLM which has been upgraded to address early cap failure and the *ALL ON* firmware glitch.

Please state what the information on the back of the PLM and the firmware from the ISY under the Tools -> Diagnostics -> PLM Info / Status.

I reported the ISY version (4.1.2) already.  I tried to capture the About window but it wouldn't let me paste it here.

Ah, I presume you mean the PLM the ISY plugs in to (i have a few others).  Let's see, it says:

2413S

V1.B

I also have a 2413U plugged in, in case I want to play with HouseLinc, and it also says V1.B and 1343.

The other 2 PLMs are #5010Ks from SmartEnit (for EZIOs).  The one that's plugged in says "2232-233 V1,B 1335".  The one I haven't plugged in yet looks older: "2233-233 V1.7 1225".

Should I assume that any PLM plugged in could be causing this glitch?  (Not just the one connected to the ISY?)  So I may need replacements from SmartEnit as well as SmartHome?

I reported the ISY version (4.1.2) already.  I tried to capture the About window but it wouldn't let me paste it here.

Ah, I presume you mean the PLM the ISY plugs in to (i have a few others).  Let's see, it says:

2413S

V1.B

I also have a 2413U plugged in, in case I want to play with HouseLinc, and it also says V1.B and 1343.

The other 2 PLMs are #5010Ks from SmartEnit (for EZIOs).  The one that's plugged in says "2232-233 V1,B 1335".  The one I haven't plugged in yet looks older: "2233-233 V1.7 1225".

Should I assume that any PLM plugged in could be causing this glitch?  (Not just the one connected to the ISY?)  So I may need replacements from SmartEnit as well as SmartHome?

When you select the *Tools* Diagnostics -> PLM Info Status in the Admin Console what does it say the firmware is for the PLM that connects to the ISY.

This is the only one that matters at this point in time.

PLM Info/Status = 28.CD.FC v9B / Connected

Sounds like it's way behind the vEF mentioned in the other thread.

So, should I order new PLMs from SmartHome, UDI, SmartEnit, or all of the above?  How do I insure they have the latest firmware?

Before you throw any money at this please engage Smarthome about this issue. If the unit is within the 2 year warranty period they will send out a new one to you. I also suspect (good guess) that even if its out of the two year warranty period they will assist you either way.

Please give them an opportunity to help you resolve this issue and report the final outcome.

Thanks for the help, guys,  I didn't think to search for "All On" in the forums.  Looks like this has been going on for awhile.  Glad I came in on the tail end of it, where the fix appears to be in sight.

I called SmartHome, and they are sending me a new 2413S, charging my credit card, which they will refund when they get the old PLM back.

The gal on the phone wasn't too technical, but she did have a note mentioning the need for a firmware upgrade, and that the new PLM was "2.0".  Hopefully that means it matches the "Rev 2.0, v9E, date code 1425" mentioned it the other threads.

I still don't know if I need to replace the #5010Ks from SmartEnit, or the 2413U.  Or if this is only a problem for the PLM that is connected to the ISY?

No one has reported an All On from using a device. Every device (except battery powered) has a PLM inside. That is what a device uses to communicate Insteon.

I'm not sure what you're saying here - that I need to replace every device because they all might have rev v9B firmware in their PLMs?

I just got my new PLM this morning - v2.0 1438 v9E.

I had to unplug my ISY and replug to get it to recognize the new PLM.  Then, it was a long time (20-30 minutes) popping up busy dialogs.  (Which I guess I should have expected - hopefully the ISY reloaded all the necessary links into the new PLM?)

I'm not sure what you're saying here - that I need to replace every device because they all might have rev v9B firmware in their PLMs?

I just got my new PLM this morning - v2.0 1438 v9E.

I had to unplug my ISY and replug to get it to recognize the new PLM.  Then, it was a long time (20-30 minutes) popping up busy dialogs.  (Which I guess I should have expected - hopefully the ISY reloaded all the necessary links into the new PLM?)

No, you do not have to replace all of your Insteon devices. What LeeG was trying to relay was that all (natively) they all have a similar PLM chip set.

If you just installed a new PLM you should have followed the replacement steps outlined in the Wiki.

If you did not do anything to scenes or modules. After changing the PLM.

Use the PLM replacement instructions in the links provided.

If you made some changes. Some links you added with the new PLM not detected may have improper links in them. Though most should still be OK.

Yeah, after the Restore PLM most things seem to work right.  The devices I tried to control before and failed - mostly showing a red "!" now, the Write Update to Device command seemed to fix.

Got a few programs that don't work though - I'll have to debug those later.

Thanks again.

Archived