ELK Wireless

dwbourn

Has anyone done much research on the new 2-way wireless Elk products coming out? I was looking at buying the transceiver and some glass break sensors but I wasn't sure how serious Elk is going to be about developing new products and such compared to say z-wave, insteon, etc. Any thoughts?

--David

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently using a number of the new elk 2 way devices without any issues. I have door contacts, motion sensors, smoke detectors, and glass break sensors. So far everything has been working perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Nick

I'm happy to report the same experience with my Elk 2-way wireless equipment.

I have both Elk Two-Way and Honeywell wireless on my Elk. Both have been rock solid. In theory, I do like the Two-way confirmation of the Elk protocol.

I started with Elk only but after initial install I added Honeywell later due to the huge number wireless options. Outside contact closures. Temp/Freeze sensors. Flood Sensors. Tip sensors. A larger variety of contact closures for interior. I also found the range to be better than the Elk. I live in an older home which means shiplap wood behind the drywall, occasional plaster, etc. My furthest sensor from the Elk Two-way was not reliably communicating. Once I added the Honeywell I changed out that sensor and haven't had any issues since. Of course I could've added another Elk Two-Way receiver for better coverage instead of buying the Honeywell but I really wanted the Honeywell sensor options. Especially because at the time there wasn't an Elk glass break sensor, believe it or not.

I was also able to use the standard Honeywell 5816 contact closures to make cheap leak sensors. Not only are they cheaper than the Insteon Leak sensors more importantly it's a lot more reliable since it's monitored by my Elk which controls the water shutoff valve so I have leak protection even without power to the house.

I wasn't sure how serious Elk is going to be about developing new products and such compared to say z-wave, insteon, etc. Any thoughts?

--David

Those otherwise wireless protocols aren't appropriate for security alarms and thus don't compete with what Elk, Honeywell, GE, etc are doing. They'll each continue to make their own wireless transmitters/transceivers for the foreseeable future. You investment in Elk Two-way isn't a risky one.

Archived