An Insteon 'friendly' UPS?

grtaylor

Is there such a thing as an Insteon friendly UPS?

I have an IO Linc controlling an ELK Water Shut-Off valve and would like to be able to UPS protect it, so the IOLinc would be on the battery-backed side of a UPS.

Will I be able to get any signals through to it? Are there any brands/models of UPS that might work?

I don't follow what you expect to happen? If the I/O Linc trips it's going to activate the ELK shut off valve, no?

Would the ELK M1 not have a email alert function or if using the ISY plugin send you an email alert?

To your original question unless the UPS is a pure sine wave model the zero crossing of the signal may not go through. This doesn't even address the filtering aspect at all.

You could piggy back a AP to the I/O Linc to provide RF. But still no guarantee this will work. You would then place the UPS on a filter Linc

I am assuming you want an alert to go through all of this?

Encrypted By: Phoenix Security Solutions

I think any ups would work if you piggy back an access point into the io linc. The insteon signal may or may not make it thru the ups, but rf to the access point should be ok. I would consider a ups with a pure sine wave since there have been posts about insteon not working properly without a pure sign wave. Most of these discussions were in reference to generators since you are not supposed to put insteon gear any where need a ups.

It's a tricky problem I'm trying to solve - my Elk valve is triggered by ISY, and also set to auto-shut-off when the power is lost, but I don't have the circuit it is on covered by the generator. So, the power goes out, the water goes off. I can manually open the valve, but it's stiff and I'm wondering if there's a way I can keep it powered up even when most of the rest of the house is powerless.

It works as it is, I'm just thinking of possible alternatives. I can't add that circuit to the transfer switch as I'm all out of more important circuits. I could switch to an interlock I suppose, then I can power up more than 10 circuits...

Just thinking, thanks for the comments.

It's a tricky problem I'm trying to solve - my Elk valve is triggered by ISY, and also set to auto-shut-off when the power is lost, but I don't have the circuit it is on covered by the generator. So, the power goes out, the water goes off. I can manually open the valve, but it's stiff and I'm wondering if there's a way I can keep it powered up even when most of the rest of the house is powerless.

It works as it is, I'm just thinking of possible alternatives. I can't add that circuit to the transfer switch as I'm all out of more important circuits. I could switch to an interlock I suppose, then I can power up more than 10 circuits...

Just thinking, thanks for the comments.

This may not be the ideal method but in some parts of my home I actually use a Xantrex Pure Sine Wave 12 volt invertor which is powered by a massive LifePo battery bank.

You could do the same thing to ensure back up power. Similar devices are offered for back up sump pumps. So perhaps expand on your search for a battery back up system.

NOTE: The primary goal for me is to ensure what ever device needs to be powered is. Notification is secondary for me but can be accomplished by using Micro On / Off, I/O Linc, Trigger Linc. Using the above devices in some form may allow you to receive those notifications to the ISY when the system is engaged etc.

I have my Flood Stop system which monitors and turns off the water to the Toilets, Sink, Washer, Dish Washer, all connected to a Trigger Linc which then sends the COM's to the ISY. This system is powered by AC / DC to ensure fail over and protection during a power loss event.

Archived