Insteon 2441ZTH Current State???

dougos2

Has anyone solved the issue of getting the ISY to display the current state (temp)?

My ISY has the latest firmware 4.2.18 and I just purchased a new 2441ZTH firmware revision OE.

Everything seems to work fine.  the time syncs.  the ISY shows changes to the mode and setpoint of the thermostat.  and the humidity is correct.

It appears that only a large change to temp will send the ISY the current state and display it.  Otherwise the ISY current state is blank.  All other fields are correct.

Not sure if this is an insteon thermostat problem or an ISY problem.

P.S. I added an external power supply to the 2441ZTH

• 2 weeks later...

Something is wrong with this tstat. It does not keep the current temp even close to updated on ISY and I've got them on AC adapters. Humidity is sent routinely. You Can't query to get current temp. In fact, the nightly query all causes current temp to be lost. An ISY Reboot results in unpredictable tstat display including mode and current state.

To get results close to desired I've used the heat and cool nodes in scenes. Also got several programs looking for conditions and attempting repair. However, these are all workarounds. I would like to see current temp. Are Others having issues so we can raise voice at SH?

Documentation says change of 2 degrees are reported but it appears that at startup does not get state via query so a 2 degree change required for first reading.

Yeah I can see temp reported at .5 level when it bothers to report. I. believe SOME MATERIAL specifically says a 2 degree change is required before an update is reported. Can't locate it right now but it does say it reports :00 :15 :30 :45. each hour on page 23. of manual. The problem is it's not clear difference when acting as standalone vs as slave/master to a wired 2441TH.

On page 18 of manual sub mode 9 activation time that can be set from 5 to 20 minutes. What is this setting.?

From details section on SH website.

"Temperatures from the linked INSTEON Thermostat, Wireless Thermostat and/or Waterproof Temperature Sensor are displayed in smaller digits centered above the main temperature display in positions 2 and 3, with the master thermostat featuring "Master" below its temperature reading. The display information updates every time the temperature sensed changes by 2°.

In other words. What are we supposed to expect if different environments.. I'm not happy with it. I'll be calling SH soon To see how all this fits together. ... Unless someone here already knows. :-)

Yeah I can see temp reported at .5 level when it bothers to report. I. believe SOME MATERIAL specifically says a 2 degree change is required before an update is reported. Can't locate it right now but it does say it reports :00 :15 :30 :45. each hour on page 23. of manual. The problem is it's not clear difference when acting as standalone vs as slave/master to a wired 2441TH.

On page 18 of manual sub mode 9 activation time that can be set from 5 to 20 minutes. What is this setting.?

From details section on SH website.

"Temperatures from the linked INSTEON Thermostat, Wireless Thermostat and/or Waterproof Temperature Sensor are displayed in smaller digits centered above the main temperature display in positions 2 and 3, with the master thermostat featuring "Master" below its temperature reading. The display information updates every time the temperature sensed changes by 2°.

The display is updated on a 2º change, but the ISY does not monitor the display. The thermostat is updated anytime it's queried by the ISY.

The quarter hour interval is only to synchronize the wireless thermostat(s) with the wired thermostat.

The activation time is minimum time between the cycling of your HVAC components, for example, the compressor.

Stusview,s, thanks for the information.

Techman, I'm running FW V.0E.

You're descriptions confirm what I thought. The issue is two thermostats a matter of few feet from Access Point and other PLM do not report current temp on any regular schedule or degree change that I can see (used blow dryer test) -- and more importantly, current temp is not returned when queried (looked at many level 3 event logs and saw one that may have been from cooling down from a blow dryer test that was coincidental with query). Worst of all, when current temp is displayed, a query renders it blank including the 3am query all version. In addition, on ISY side, the Heat Mode Node can be On but the Thermostat Heat/Cool state will be blank. All this gets compounded when a power failure occurs.

Stusviews, What do you mean by "The display is updated on a 2º change, but the ISY does not monitor the display."? Are you saying ISY does not listen for Insteon messages from thermostat or that thermostat does not send Insteon messages on 2 degree changes. Sorry to be dense, but I feel I'm missing something here.

Again thanks to all. I really want this to work.

Worst of all, when current temp is displayed, a query renders it blank including the 3am query all version. In addition, on ISY side, the Heat Mode Node can be On but the Thermostat Heat/Cool state will be blank. All this gets compounded when a power failure occurs.

F.Y.I.   I  have one thermostat running on batteries and another with an external power supply. When I query them it has no effect on the display.

I guess I spoke too soon, the thermostat with the external power supply just quit reporting temperature. The ISY current state temperature node is now blank.

All the other fields are OK, set points, fan mode, and humidity.

If I do a query it has no effect on any of the readings.

So here is a completely shot in the dark. How about one of you use the new remote update feature and make a program and see if it works that way?

I have my doubts but it's free to try!

Report success / failure to the group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I spoke too soon, the thermostat with the external power supply just quit reporting temperature. The ISY current state temperature node is now blank.

All the other fields are OK, set points, fan mode, and humidity.

If I do a query it has no effect on any of the readings.

That exactly what I've been seeing. Take a blow dryer and get temp to about 90 for a minute and it'll report temp. In effect you have to prime the pump if normal temps are in narrow range since query does not work.

So here is a completely shot in the dark. How about one of you use the new remote update feature and make a program and see if it works that way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been busy replacing with dual band devices and assorted other INSTEON and zwave projects. Want to let it all settle before I upgrade firmware. I'll do upgrade next couple weeks and report on new feature.

I recently installed a 2441ZTH with the plug-in  It is behaving as described above. If I query the device using MobiLinc the current state for temperature disappears. It also disappears from the main display in the ISY. I tested the notification process I set up to email me when there was a call for heat and that feature works despite the fact that the current state for temperature is not displayed. I plan to wait and see if the display restores.

Stusviews, What do you mean by "... but the ISY does not monitor the display."?

The display uses different circuitry than is seen by any Insteon manager. For example, although the thermostat has a 0.5º resolution, that of the display is 1º. There's other information on the display that an ISY manager doesn't see, for example, the display can show the temperature of up to three thermostats. None of that matters to using the thermostat as a controller.

The display in MobiLinc and ISY remained blank for temperature so I unplugged the thermostat. When it powered up, the temperature displayed correctly in MobiLinc and on the ISY. However, the heat set point had disappeared! That is critical since the location of this thermostat experiences routine power outages and the only reason the thermostat is there is to send me a notification when the heat setpoint has been reached and thus telling me that the onsite heating system has failed. I am aware that using batteries could avoid this but I will not return to this location for 4 months and I doubt the batteries would last that long. Bummer!

I've read online and manual and it appears to me that when thermostat is plugged in it should respond to query including current temp. This would enable programs to keep information in sync. I'm calling them to see what's wrong.

Just to make sure I understand when ISY queries a device ,it simply processes what is returned. In other words, ISY does not qualify what it is requesting.?

The display in MobiLinc and ISY remained blank for temperature so I unplugged the thermostat. When it powered up, the temperature displayed correctly in MobiLinc and on the ISY. However, the heat set point had disappeared! That is critical since the location of this thermostat experiences routine power outages and the only reason the thermostat is there is to send me a notification when the heat setpoint has been reached and thus telling me that the onsite heating system has failed. I am aware that using batteries could avoid this but I will not return to this location for 4 months and I doubt the batteries would last that long. Bummer!

I'm using thermostat heat and cool nodes in scenes. Even though , information frequently does not reflect correctly in ISY and MobiLinc the scenes do appear to work as expected.

I'm still running 4.2.18 for a while so I won't be able to test your theory just yet.

I wrote the following program to reset the mode and setpoint following a power failure. Time will tell if it works.

If
        Status  'Thermostat / Thermostat (Main)' is Mode Off

Then
        Set 'Thermostat / Thermostat (Main)' Mode Heat
        Set 'Thermostat / Thermostat (Main)' 68° (Heat Setpoint)

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Archived