Temp threshold alerts - HOW TO

richardalan1975

I just purchased the Insteon Energy Display with thermostat and I am disappointed this device is not supported. I am nto pointing fingers just looking for a solution for temp threshold. For example if the temp drops below X or above X it would trigger an event like email notification. Please help me understand my options. Bummer looks like this device is worthless.

I just purchased the Insteon Energy Display with thermostat and I am disappointed this device is not supported. I am nto pointing fingers just looking for a solution for temp threshold. For example if the temp drops below X or above X it would trigger an event like email notification. Please help me understand my options. Bummer looks like this device is worthless.

I made a post about supporting all Insteon features please cast your vote in that POLL. Also indicate the energy meter which I have 4 of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am confused where is the poll? Are you saying it has been supported? If not what is the solution to achieving threshold notifications.

No, I created a POLL where I asked UDI to support all features and options for each device. To your original question there is no method to use this device as a remote temp sensor.

Search under my profile of threads I created that will let you see the content etc.

I will find that poll soon enough. Do you know of another device that will do what I am asking and work with my UDI device?

It comes down to budget and your long term needs. You could buy a remote TSTAT from SH but that solution has issues too. Or you could purchase any third party 1 wire solution.

If you want reliable, expandable, accurate temperature data 1 wire is the way to go. Go to the Autelis forum here look at the 1.3.0 thread you will see information via my install thread.

It comes down to budget and your long term needs. You could buy a remote TSTAT from SH but that solution has issues too. Or you could purchase any third party 1 wire solution.

If you want reliable, expandable, accurate temperature data 1 wire is the way to go. Go to the Autelis forum here look at the 1.3.0 thread you will see information via my install thread.

I am on it thank you, I am not willing to change out my stat. Will look at the thread you suggested next.

You can use the Insteon wireless thermostat then just create a program with temperature thresholds to trigger an email alert. 

My HVAC system is pretty intense geo, humidifier, multiple zones. Its great stat with wifi access and a ton of other features. just no temp notifications that I can see. Still looking thanks everyone for chiming in this morning.

My HVAC system is pretty intense geo, humidifier, multiple zones. Its great stat with wifi access and a ton of other features. just no temp notifications that I can see. Still looking thanks everyone for chiming in this morning.

The wireless thermostat would be completely independent from your main thermostat, you would use it just to send email alerts when the temperature where is thermostat is located is outside of a set threshold. The thermostat has a tabletop stand or it can be wall mounted.

The wireless thermostat would be completely independent from your main thermostat, you would use it just to send email alerts when the temperature where is thermostat is located is outside of a set threshold. The thermostat has a tabletop stand or it can be wall mounted.

Interesting thank you. Looks like it was designed to control the HVAC but I could simply use it to achieve the threshold alerts. I am going to explore both options above and deploy something quickly.  Thanks again

Interesting thank you. Looks like it was designed to control the HVAC but I could simply use it to achieve the threshold alerts. I am going to explore both options above and deploy something quickly. Thanks again

Please be aware if you want updates consistently you need to plug it in. Being on battery it only pushes information based on a 2-3 degree change in temp.

If that type of delay and resolution is OK it can work. Otherwise you have just traded one hobbled piece of gear for another.

I have an Insteon wireless themostat that I use in reporting temperature only and sending an email when a setpoint calling for heat is reached. That lets me know if the heating system has failed. IIt is powered via a transformer and is accesible from the ISY and MobiLinc. It has a minor foible that appears when you query it but that is easily remedied by powering it down then repowering it or, better still, don't query it!

Archived