3 way switch setup in isy994 issues

newbies

Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

Installed two 2477D dimmers as 3 way on a light fixture.

Linked both dimmers into ISY994.....named dimA and dimB

Created a scene and added both the dimmers and set both as controller.

Both dimmers works fine when I go to either location to physcially turn on, off, or dim by hitting the switch.

However, within ISY994, when I'm at the home interface or admin console, I can only control the light fixture clicking on dimA.  When I click on dimB, the light doesn't turn on, off, nor dim.  Going over to dimB, I will see the led light on the dimmer all the way up but the light fixture isn't on, I then hit the off button on the dimmer, led light goes all the way down, hit the on button, led light goes up and then light fixture turns on.

Within ISY994, how can I control the light fixture using either dimA or dimB? Or that's not possible at all.

Thanks again.

Thank you Ober.

Under admin console, I click the scene name and then click ON, both dimmers' status shows ON and the light fixture is on.

However, how do I make the dimB work too under the ISY device list? Or why won't it work just like dimA when I click on it?

I believe dimA is the actual switch turning the light on, and dimB is just sending a signal to dimA to turn light on, am I doing something wrong there?

dimB physically turned On/Off turns On/Off dimA which powers the load.  This happens because dimA and dimB are in a Scene which cross-links the two devices.  This Scene (actually multiple Insteon Scenes) applies to manual operation of either switch.  The Scene DOES NOT apply to a switch that is turned On/Off by another device that is not part of the specific Scene, the PLM in this case. When the Admin Console turns on dimB the Scene is not in effect so dimA is not affected.  Standard Insteon operation.  Has nothing to do with the ISY.

As was noted earlier to have both switches operate together a Scene has to be operated by the PLM that has both switches defined as Controllers.  Again normal Insteon operation.

There is an insteondetails.pdf document on insteon.com that describes Scene operation.  Much more Insteon detail than a newbie is interested in but this document can be useful as you learn more about how Insteon works. 

Thank you all!  I guess I have much more studying to do.

Reading these forums is a wonderful form of studying.

Consider the theoretical construct where switch A is controller only of switch B, which is controller only of switch C.  Manually pressing switch A will cause switch B to turn on, but this does NOT cause switch C to turn on.  Only manually pressing switch B will cause C to react, besides manually controlling switch C directly. 

It is the same relationship between the PLM and switches.  The PLM is controller of all switches and devices, but controlling of those switches (even if those switches are, themselves, controllers of other devices) via the PLM will not cause the responder devices to react.

Archived