SwitchLinc Dimmer communication issue/question regarding Dual-Band

I'm having a problem with a very simple scene on a KPL that controls 2 SwitchLinc dimmers (the scene is just the upper right KPL button controlling the 2 switchlincs).  When I press the KPL scene button it only seems to work about 10% of the time. The SL's are on a different circuit than the KPL but I'm confused since these are all Dual-Band devices and are positioned immediately adjacent to each other.  Am I misunderstanding how Dual-Band works?  I could see why the powerline signal isn't working but why isn't the Dual-Band signal picking up the slack and sending the signal to the adjacent switches??

I've attached a picture of the devices in question (red = 2 switchlincs, yellow = KPL scene button).  

TIA, Kevin

post-6677-0-75534600-1435273208_thumb.jpg

You may have the devices on different powerline legs, the 2486 KeypadLinc Relay is not a dual band device. You probably need to improve your communications by installing range extenders, one of each side of the powerline, to bridge the signal.

aha, that makes more sense.  For some reason I thought it was a dual-band device.  Am I right in assuming if I replaced that KPL with a dual-band device that it should fix the issue?

In theory yes. That's assuming that you don't have any other issues such as noise on the powerline.  Power supplies, UPS, some TV's, etc have a tendency to either absorb powerline signals or to inject noise into the powerline. 

The more dual band devices you have spread around the house the more likely your communications will improve.

Is it only signals from the 2486 KPL that's intermittent, if so then replacing it with a dual band KPL should fix things.

Archived