Garage Door Opener

polo2883

So I got the Insteon garage door opener kit.

The 2450 device is able to be detected only in certain outlets of my house.  When I move the device into the garage it seems to not be detected at all.

There is a GFI in the garage that seems to control only 3 of the 4 outlets.  The 4th outlet being the garage door opener outlet. When I test the GFI all the wall outlets are off but the outlet in the ceiling for the garage door opener still works.

Can anyone provide more insight as to why it will not link?

The I/O Linc is powerline only, NO Dual Band RF.   This means that outlets on the opposite 120v leg to PLM are dependent on your phase bridging to function.  Also some GFI protected circuits can interfere with Insteon.    

The O/I Linc is not a dual band device and runs its communications via the power line. You will need a few more Insteon dual band devices or a *Range Extender* to help couple / bridge your network.

If after confirming proper coupling / bridging and you still see a lack of COM's this usually indicates noise makers / signal suckers in the area.

Many people have seen much older GFCI's giving Insteon users issues. But since its not connected to this circuit (assuming) the breaker at the panel is not a GFCI breaker it could be the GDO / light.

I have other sensors working. I have thr hidden door sensor and wireless door sensors working. So if i get a bridge it will help thr I/O linc work?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

This assumes its a coupling / bridging issue and not related to any noise makers / signal suckers.

It should but with one caution.

The Insteon RF signal from the Range Extender. Has to reach one of the dual band devices you have installed presently.

That should not be an issue. The PLM and other devices are less than 20 feet away.

Thanks I will give it a shot.

It should but with one caution.

The Insteon RF signal from the Range Extender. Has to reach one of the dual band devices you have installed presently.

Yes, I agree and if (I) had a preference I would humbly suggest you purchase a On-Off Module instead of the *Range Extender* (RE) as it will allow you to have dual use should it ever be required.

The RE only serves one purpose and that is to bridge / couple your electrical system and help translate RF only devices to power line.

That should not be an issue. The PLM and other devices are less than 20 feet away.

Distance is not an issue its line of sight that matters. Anything in the way of the RF signal will absorb or deflect that signal.

The PLM is not on the same circuit as your computing equipment?

Computing equipment and UPS units are typical noise makers or signal absorbers. For Insteon power line signals

I use a FilterLinc on mine. PLM in the front unfiltered pass through outlet and the UPS with computing equipment. On the filtered outlet.

I have other sensors working. I have thr hidden door sensor and wireless door sensors working. So if i get a bridge it will help thr I/O linc work?

If the wireless devices are in the garage, then you can be assured that a range extender or other dual-band device will work. In any case, a dual-band device in the garage should work. That the AFI breaker is on a different circuit rules it out as a problem.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2450 garage door link V4.1 that has been operating with a ISY 994i for over a year. Over the summer (while we were away), there were several large storms and I came home to a fried PLM which I replaced. Most insteon is working now, but occasionally at night, the Garage door opens by itself. I've looked at the log and can't seem to find any program that would do this, nor do I see anything else that would cause this. My temporary fix is to unplug the 2450 at night so it can't issue the open command by itself. Does anyone know of a way to disable the open command with software? I don't really need to open the GD from anywhere else but the original GD switch. But I do like having the GD status indicator in several spots in the house so i can see if the GD is open or closed. I know I could rewire the circuit so that the open signal travels through the magnetic contact switch such that it will only reach the opener if the door is open (thereby never allowing the ISY or insteon to "open" the door, only allowing it "close" the door) but this requires rewiring and perhaps even another magnetic switch which I'd like to avoid. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

I have a 2450 garage door link V4.1 that has been operating with a ISY 994i for over a year. Over the summer (while we were away), there were several large storms and I came home to a fried PLM which I replaced. Most insteon is working now, but occasionally at night, the Garage door opens by itself. I've looked at the log and can't seem to find any program that would do this, nor do I see anything else that would cause this. My temporary fix is to unplug the 2450 at night so it can't issue the open command by itself. Does anyone know of a way to disable the open command with software? I don't really need to open the GD from anywhere else but the original GD switch. But I do like having the GD status indicator in several spots in the house so i can see if the GD is open or closed. I know I could rewire the circuit so that the open signal travels through the magnetic contact switch such that it will only reach the opener if the door is open (thereby never allowing the ISY or insteon to "open" the door, only allowing it "close" the door) but this requires rewiring and perhaps even another magnetic switch which I'd like to avoid. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

I have mine plugged into an On/Off Module and turn that off in the evening or when away.  If it's only opening at night it's possible it's related to "query all."

Jon...

In answer to Teken... yes the trigger reverse is set, but I believe it's been that way since the beginning. And the size of the magnet and switch are each 4", not sure if this is large or small.

And Jon, thanks for the suggestion but the on/off module is not a great solution for me. for 1, I always want the sense function to work. For 2, I don't really need to open a closed GD using insteon, so that's all I want to disable.

I'll look at the log again to see if a query all happened around the same time that the door opened...thanks for your suggestion.

baabm

What Momentary mode (A, B or C) is being used to control the I/O Linc Relay?   It may be possible to use a different Momentary mode to prevent the Relay from reacting.   Would need more info as to current Momentary mode and what Insteon command is turning On the Relay.  Could be an On command or an Off command depending on Momentary mode in use.

The 3AM Query has been known to produce odd results.  The Query of one I/O Linc node results in both the Sensor and Relay being Queried.   Insteon event trace of powerline comm has shown that each 120v leg can send one of the Query responses.  The second Query response comes back after the next I/O Linc query has been initiated making the duplicate response being applied to the wrong node.  

If a Program reacts to this incorrect response a door open is not uncommon.  The hit to the Insteon network that took out the PLM may have also changed other Insteon device activity.   This can be difficult to identify and fix.   A common solution is to change the magnetic switch so that Trigger Reverse is no longer needed.  This makes the Sensor and Relay Query both show Off at 3AM so the duplicate response does not change the state of either node.   

I don't really need to open a closed GD using insteon, so that's all I want to disable.

If you only want status from the IOLinc then disconnect the output to the opener and just use the sense portion..  If you leave it connected there isn't a way to disable it thru ISY...

Jon..

In answer to LeeG, the full configuration of the setup on the ISY is:

LED on xmit

Trigger reverse

Momentary A

I have a KPL pushbutton in the same scene as the GD relay output, I don't have any programs that control the GD. 

I have it set up so the KPL button lights up if the GD is open and turns off if the GD is closed.

Thanks Jerlands, If I can't get the thing to work correctly, i will disconnect the wire to the opener.

The garage door opener has multiple buttons.  The I/O Linc Relay cannot be connected to the wires going to the opener.  The Relay wires need to connect to the actual open/close button inside the opener.

Also the I/O Linc may be in Latching mode as the garage door opener will normally operate after the Relay turns Off in one of the Momentary modes. 

The garage door opener has multiple buttons.  The I/O Linc Relay cannot be connected to the wires going to the opener.  The Relay wires need to connect to the actual open/close button inside the opener.

Also the I/O Linc may be in Latching mode as the garage door opener will normally operate after the Relay turns Off in one of the Momentary modes. 

I connected the wires to the same terminals as where the wall button is connected to.

Archived