KPL 4 Tap Bridging - Coupling (Beacon) Test

I installed a dual band KPL relay about a year ago upstairs in my living room. During the on going basement renovations I performed the 4 tap coupling - bridging (beacon) test.

It was noted that the KPL was flashing all four center LED's as seen in this video. The full users manual makes no distinction as to if the unit is on the same phase / opposite phase?

Does anyone have a link that states what this means?

http://vid941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/EVIL_Teken/Insteon/07A17535-F2D6-4B2B-968C-34C19FFDF621_zpsqcb80tf3.mp4

It does not mean anything beyond the Beacon test is running

4 tap the PLM set button, beacon test is running.  Other than the beacon test is running nothing at the PLM indicates which 120v leg the PLM is powered from.  Same with the KPL, the beacon test is running but nothing indicates which 120v leg is powering the KPL.

As with the PLM beacon test, other device responses indicate if they are on the same/opposite 120v leg as the device sending the beacon message.

It does not mean anything beyond the Beacon test is running

4 tap the PLM set button, beacon test is running.  Other than the beacon test is running nothing at the PLM indicates which 120v leg the PLM is powered from.  Same with the KPL, the beacon test is running but nothing indicates which 120v leg is powering the KPL.

As with the PLM beacon test, other device responses indicate if they are on the same/opposite 120v leg as the device sending the beacon message.

Well besides me doesn't that seem odd and not very helpful to those trying to confirm proper bridging / coupling? Specifically, the beacon test was initiated by the PLM and every other device in the home indicated same phase / opposite phase.

I can't understand why they would make the KPL blink but not indicate what side of the electrical leg the unit was on?

Teken,

Do you know if the KPL and PLM are on opposite legs?

I haven't gotten that far but will reply back with what I documented in my wiring chart. I know several of the lamp lincs are on the same circuit so this will let me know if its same leg / opposite leg.

Not at the house at this moment but at a friends doing some wiring.

I took from the initial post the beacon test was initiated by the KPL.   From your other post about PLM not sure if the PLM initiated the beacon test or the KPL initiated the beacon test.

The PLM initiated the beacon test and various KPL's were all flashing their four LED's. I also have one of the first generation Switch Linc Dimmers and a few of them simply flash their bottom LED.

Looking up the manual for those devices also doesn't indicate same leg / opposite leg. Those who have the newer style with the dual green / red LED's in their devices are very lucky because there is no ambiguity as to which leg is present.

Finally got it figured out with respect to the KPL and the switch Linc. My previous statement was in error and not accurate when I said the beacon test yielded the results above.

1. When the beacon test is initiated by the 2413S PLM the KPL does not blink.

2. Using a Lamp Linc / On-Off Module on the same electrical leg caused the KPL to blink the four center LED's. So blinking of the four center LED's indicates same electrical leg or phase.

No blinking indicates opposite leg or phase which in the big picture doesn't offer very much information. As a person would assume its not in range or simply not working?

3. A dual band Switch Linc in my public bathroom also indicated the same behavior. I can see why the latest generations of Insteon devices include a dual red / green LED it simply makes it easier to understand what is happening.

Problem answered for those wanting to know . . .

For clarity sake the KPL Relay is a 2487S hardware v6.0 produced in 1129. 

Archived