ISY Power Module / Brultech GEM

MWareman

Quick question... Are you getting data directly from GEM (via the network interface) - or via the Dashbox?

The reason I ask - my GEM interface is WiFi - and less reliable. My Dashbox is hard wired and provides much more reliable data.

Even better - maybe you could reach out to Ben and have the ISY Node Server for GEM be integrated directly into the Dashbox.... (wishful thinking maybe!)

My program talks directly to the GEM.  I also plan on handling the GEM data in SEG format so that I can forward the data along to SEG (Right now it appears the GEM will not support sending to SEG locally and still allowing me to connect for push data).

Unfortunately I can't find any documentation on the Dashbox or it's communication capabilities.

Thanks. The Dashbox can send in SEG format - or write ISY state variables thru the ISY API.

When 5.x becomes more stable I'll give your solution a try and see how well it works with my GEM on WiFi. Otherwise, I may have to look into converting my GEM to wired Ethernet.

Fair enough. Then we can see if being a middle man would work.

GEM can send to Dashbox via TCP/IP (HTTP Get Brultech Packet Type 3). If the Dashbox allows it, I could decode this format for ISY data and then mirror it through to the Dashbox.

In my case, I would lose my hardwire link...

Currently, the GEM sends to the Dashbox over a hardwired serial connection (port 2 on GEM). Port 1 on GEM is the WiFi module - I don't use that at all because its been unreliable for me (even though my AP is fairly close).

The Dashbox then sends the data onto SEG and my ISY (via state variables) using its hardwired Ethernet connection.

I think this is likely a pretty common setup for those with the Dashbox.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out how I'd replace the ISY variables currently being updated by the Dashbox with your node server.

We may have to bug Ben at Brultech to see if he is willing to add more generic data forwarding to the Dashbox.

Io_guy,

Your middleman suggestion sounds like a good compromise for my setup.

I have two GEMs running wired Ethernet to a single dash box. The dash box then sends out the data to SEG. For the last few weeks SEG hasn't been working correctly and Sam doesn't appear to be monitoring the Forum which is a real shame as I really like the SEG user interface for monitoring. The DashBox is improving but still needs some work.

For my setup I don't want to run either the serial or the wifi connection between the GEMs and the Dashbox so the node server either has to accept the output from the dash box (and allow forwarding onto SEG) or accept the output from multiple GEMs and forward it to the DashBox.

It's really great that your investing time on this. I was waiting a while until UDI has their framework finished and then I plan to start building various node servers for all my devices e.g Russound, Sonos, Onkyo receivers, media players etc. This will then start putting the ISY at the heart of my automation system. Once the Echo is available outside of the U.S. and I can integrated it daily with the ISY the options are going to be endless. Now all I need is to come up with a High Availability solution for the ISY and the PLM!

MWareman,

In your config we'll either need the DB to send data out more generically, or you'll need to add Ethernet to GEM.

ppitkin,

My current app can decode either ASCII or SEG format and then re-encode to send up to SEG.  If the DB allows it (I have no idea how it actually communicate/authenticates with the GEM) I could easily re-encode to HTTP GET as well and send to the DB.

MWareman,

In your config we'll either need the DB to send data out more generically, or you'll need to add Ethernet to GEM.

I think I'm going to ping Ben at Brultech and see if there is an option to switch out the WiFi module for wired Ethernet...

Thanks!

Archived