Need help with simple motion sensor program

Johns9149

I have been struggling with this for some time.  No matter what I try, the final result is not what I am after.  I have a togglelinc for a walk in closet light that I want to respond to a  motion sensor.  Sometime I use the Togglelinc to turn on the light, other times I just walk into the closet. My goal is that no matter how the light is turned on (flip the togglelinc or sensor activated) that the light will turn off after the sensor has not detected motion for 10 minutes.  I want this to happen Mon - Fri. 5:30am - 11:30 am same day.  If anyone can help, I would be most grateful.

My motion sensor is set up as:

Timeout = 10 min

LED Brightness = 0  (I dont want to see the red blinky blinky light - but it still shows???)

Darkness sensitivity = 35

Sensing mode is checked

On Only mode is NOT checked

Nigth Mode is checked

My program is:

If
        On Sat, Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri
        From     5:00:05AM
        To      11:30:00PM (same day)
    And Control 'Master Bathroom / Mstr Bath Closet Sensor' is switched On

Then
        Set 'Master Bathroom / Mstr Bath Closet Light Switch' On
        Wait  10 minutes
        Set 'Master Bathroom / Mstr Bath Closet Light Switch' Off

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

I really want to understand the motion sensor details.  I have 2 more MS in a box that I want to get set up but don't want to get any more frustrated than I already am.  Any help - pointers - simple programs, etc. would be great. 

Thanks

James J

The text says 11:30 AM, Program said 11:30 PM

Uncheck Night Mode

Uncheck LED On

Motion Sensor Jumper 5 Only jumpered 

The Motion Sensor Timeout value is used to control time of Closet Light On.  The timeout value is reset for each motion detected.  Only when 10 minutes with no motion will light turn Off  

Use two Programs

If
        On Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri
        From     5:00:00AM
        To      11:30:00AM (same day)

Then
Else

If
        On Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri
        From     5:00:00AM
        To      11:30:00AM (same day)
    And Control 'Master Bathroom / Mstr Bath Closet Sensor' is switched Off

And Status 'Master Bathroom / Mstr Bath Closet Light Switch' is On

Then
      Set 'Master Bathroom / Mstr Bath Closet Light Switch' Off

Else

To both helpers / responders -- thanks!

Lee - Sorry about the time typo.  The time was / is set to 11:30 pm; nice catch.  I made the the program changes and MS changes as you suggested with one exception.  It may be related to I am still using the ISY 99i controller.  In the 2nd program, I did not have the option of

And Status 'Master Bathroom / Mstr Bath Closet Light Switch' is On

but rather, I had to use

And Status 'Master Bathroom / Mstr Bath Closet Light Switch' is not Off

I then tested the new setup.  When I stepped into the closet with the MS, the light activated rigth away!  However, even with me moving around in front of the MS, the light shut off after approx 50 secs.  I tested this several times with the same result.  I then just turned on the light using the togglelinc and did not step into the closet.  The light never turned off.  I had to shut it off with the togglelinc after 15 minutes.  I am beginning to wonder if I have a faulty MS.  Any follow up suggestions?  Any more info I can provide to you? 

To anyone - any thoughts where I can find more indepth instructions / training on programing in the ISY?  I have looked thru the online info I can find in the tutorials and watched a few youtube videos.  All seem to be fairly superficial.  Insteon quick start guides provide very little info.   Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks

If the MS was not activated by motion (did not enter closet) the MS would not send an Off.  If the ToggleLinc can be operated without tripping MS the MS needs to be repositioned.  Or more logic is needed to shut off ToggleLinc without MS activity. 

The ToggleLinc has no timer so it turning Off would indicate the MS Timeout option is not correct.

There is an ISY User Guide that covers ISY programming.

Ok, I understand that in the current set up, if I turn on the light using the Togglelinc, then the MS will not send an off command after 10 min. of no activity.  But why do you think that when I stepped into the closet and the MS sent the ON command and the light came on, that about 50 sec. later, the light turned off?  Doesnt the THEN statement Wait  10 minutes in the first program dictate that the light should remain on for 10 min. after the MS doesnt detect any activity?  The MS is positioned above the door on the inside of the closet so it should have "seen" me moving around. 

Thoughts?

Post your Programs and Motion Sensor options.   I did not have a Wait in my examples so the only thing that could turn the ToggleLinc was the MS.   With two ways of turning the ToggleLinc Off all aspects of the MS and Program logic need to be examined.

Lee

thanks for the follow up

MS options -

Timeout (minutes)    10

LED Brightness          0     (still getiing red blinky light)

Darlmess Sensitivity  35

Sensing mode:

As Motion is sensed --- checked

On Onlyh mode --- NOT checked

Night Mode ------     NOT checked

2 program inside a folder that doesnt have any conditions set:

1st program:

If

Then

Else

2nd program:

If
    And Control 'Master Bathroom / Mstr Bath Closet Sensor' is switched Off
    And Status  'Master Bathroom / Mstr Bath Closet Light Switch' is not Off

Then
        Set 'Master Bathroom / Mstr Bath Closet Light Switch' Off

Else

You made an interesting comment prevously about if I want control from the MS when the togglelinc is used to turn on the light that additional logic would be needed.... would it be something like "query togglelinc status; if on, then wait 10 minutes, then off command ---- or -- query togglelinc status, if off, then run program XXXXX ... I know this is not the correct way , but am I on the right track with the query command?

Again, thanks for all your help..  I really want to get a good control over MS as I believe that the sensors (motion, occupancy, vacancy, presence, etc) is what make a SMART home, not just and automated home

Since the Programs now have no Wait I assume the Motion Sensor completed its 10 minute Timeout that started from a previous motion detection.

There should be no reason to query a ToggleLinc.   If operated manually it notifies the ISY of the activity so the ISY should know the ToggleLinc is On.

the light still blinks - flashes off then back on  when you walk into the closet after using the togglelinc.  It still turns off after 50 or so seconds if walking into the closet if not using the togglelinc.  what do you think about remove the "wait 10 min" from the program since the MS already has the 10 min timeout?

• 2 months later...

First off, THANK YOU to the original poster for posing this question...this has shed SOOOO much light on Motion Sensors for me.  Second, when I try to change the options for the MS and set the timeout, I'm not sure it's actually assigning the value to the device itself.  Is there a way I can query the device and see a list of the variables stored on the device?  When i click the Query button, nothing seems to happen.  Sorry if this is ISY 101 but I must have been sick that day.

Thanks

Mike

Manually put the Motion Sensor into linking mode (necessary for battery powered device).   Click on the Options button.  Click the Query button on the popup.  An Event Trace at LEVEL 3 will show command activity pulling the displayed information from the Motion Sensor.   Changing some value and click Done to save new data.   Not necessary to change data before click on Done.

Be sure to take the Motion Sensor out of linking mode when finished. 

Archived