Ibeacon trouble

Cormacs

I'm just curious if I'm missing something. I got iBeacons in every room my only issue is mobilinc has no ability to set distance to a particular beacon. I want to have different become trigger different rooms. The only issue is the beacons even at the lowest setting all over lap and I will be turning lights on when I'm not in that room. I wish mobilinc had a way to set triggers at a beacons particular rssi level. Or does it and I'm missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Cormacs,

One option we have as developers for iBeacon is to enable a ranging feature that constantly ranges the iBeacons to get at a finer grain "distance" estimate. When we tried this during development we ran into two show stoppers:

1. With this option on, the iPhone would drain it's battery in about 2 hours from a full charge.

2. The distance estimate wasn't anywhere close to reliable enough to warrant turning this on for the community. 

Suggestion on beam shaping your iBeacons: Put something metal between the iBeacon and where you want the RF beam to NOT propagate. While it won't fully stop RF, metal does adversely impact 2.4GHz (BT) range.

Wes

I'll play with it some more I didn't have much time last night. It's just would have been so much easier if you could say only trigger if beacon strength is -89dbm. But I guess I could see how that could be a battery hog always analyzing the bt signal

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Mine were adjustable too just unreliable. I abandoned them and went back to geofenceing

Would you tell me with which iOS app you were setting up the power?

I am in the same boat, I like iBeacons so far but the lack of apps is frustrating.

Only one app allows me to change the settings (I want to change the power).

And the app is not working.

Archived