Insteon Leak Sensor Failed (Dead) 2852-222

SCKoman

Two Units Failed:    #1 Version  1913 Re  v2.0      #2 Version Version 4912 Rev 1.05  

$50 to $70 worth of leak sensors. 

Both units failed within last three to six months. Failed means they have become unresponsive

or dead. I have performed factory resets on both. Still dead. Both were previously working with the ISY 994i.

Never got a missed heartbeat. Both batteries are in decent condition. One did detect condensate

build-up from an HVAC, but did not get submersed. The other never got wet at all. I have blown both

out with compressed air and checked for cleanliness. Contacts are clean and insides look clean.

While I cannot completely rule out ESD, I sincerely doubt it. Each was located in a different part 

of house.  I have 12 other leak sensors at various versions, all working fine.

By "failed" I mean: They were once working just fine, tested, gave heartbeats etc.

Then they just stopped working. Button pushes do nothing (no lite or signal transmission).

During the Factory Reset, the LED never comes on, even when waiting 2 minutes without

power then holding button 2 minutes after inserting fresh battery. Lite just never comes on. 

Same symptoms for both units. Both units look perfect, if not pristine. 

QUESTIONS:

1)  Is there a known defect that I can correct somehow. I have not removed the PCBs yet and

I will not until I know what I'm doing. 

2)  Are there board contact points where I can measure the 1.7 Volts and ensure the device is

actually receiving power (rather than just the appearance of power) ???

2)  Has anyone experienced this kind of thing?  What did you do? 

Thanks much for any help.

Two Units Failed:    #1 Version  1913 Re  v2.0      #2 Version Version 4912 Rev 1.05  

$50 to $70 worth of leak sensors. 

Both units failed within last three to six months. Failed means they have become unresponsive

or dead. I have performed factory resets on both. Still dead. Both were previously working with the ISY 994i.

Never got a missed heartbeat. Both batteries are in decent condition. One did detect condensate

build-up from an HVAC, but did not get submersed. The other never got wet at all. I have blown both

out with compressed air and checked for cleanliness. Contacts are clean and insides look clean.

While I cannot completely rule out ESD, I sincerely doubt it. Each was located in a different part 

of house.  I have 12 other leak sensors at various versions, all working fine.

By "failed" I mean: They were once working just fine, tested, gave heartbeats etc.

Then they just stopped working. Button pushes do nothing (no lite or signal transmission).

During the Factory Reset, the LED never comes on, even when waiting 2 minutes without

power then holding button 2 minutes after inserting fresh battery. Lite just never comes on. 

Same symptoms for both units. Both units look perfect, if not pristine. 

QUESTIONS:

1)  Is there a known defect that I can correct somehow. I have not removed the PCBs yet and

I will not until I know what I'm doing. 

2)  Are there board contact points where I can measure the 1.7 Volts and ensure the device is

actually receiving power (rather than just the appearance of power) ???

2)  Has anyone experienced this kind of thing?  What did you do? 

Thanks much for any help.

First thing is determine if they are still under warranty if so submit a RMA for the primary solution. If they are found to be well out side of the warranty period I would still submit a request and see what Smarthome says.

Asking is free and you never know what the outcome will be . . .

If they indicate you're SOL then I would first check the two ends of the contacts for obvious battery oxidation / debris build up. Don't go by visuals alone because any kind of barrier can cause resistance and thus cause a lack of voltage to be present. Once you clean both contacts verify that the battery does in fact sit tight against the springs / contact points and verify they do.

If the above results in the same behavior I would more than likely see if any of the capacitors show signs of leakage, bulging, or cracking.

If in doubt replace any of them you feel are suspect.

It should be noted there is some kind of small silver (crystal) I believe not sure if its a actual crystal vs a capacitor but I have seen quite a few of my older and newer Insteon devices which showed signs of exploding innards.

Some members have indicated in the past it looked like adhesive glue but after I compared dozens of other devices it was proven it was not glue or otherwise but in fact the part had exploded with what ever materials its made with.

This silver device is is round in shape and about half an inch in length. Off memory there are quite a few surface mounted parts so that portion you will be truly SOL! 

• 1 month later...

Archived