insteon motion sensor

355spider

I'm looking to install some motion sensors to trigger lights but I can't find an insteon light sensor combo. Lutron makes one that's built into the light switch and has a light sensor so it doesn't go off at night. Love them in my garage. I don't want to have to wire my house with several insteon motion sensors.

So essentially that makes the insteon hub communicate with other motion sensors?

I noticed insteon has wireless sensors but how long do the batteries last? My other concern is that our house is 7000sqft and there's no way a wireless sensor has the range to go across my house which I see from some of its reviews.

So essentially that makes the insteon hub communicate with other motion sensors?

I noticed insteon has wireless sensors but how long do the batteries last? My other concern is that our house is 7000sqft and there's no way a wireless sensor has the range to go across my house which I see from some of its reviews.

Given the distance and required service life you expect it would only make sense to install and deploy a 3rd party wall mounted motion sensor switch in conjunction with a Insteon device which has a sense input.

That can be the Inline Linc module or the Micro On/Off relay or dimmer style.

It really comes down to where these integration will take place and the amount of room that is available. Normally both devices are placed at the fixture point and unless the JBOX has lots of space shoe horning a Micro module might prove very difficult and tedious.

I guess using range extenders is how you fix that?

Yes, you can definitely use the Range Extenders (RE) to enhance the RF range of your Insteon network. But I would humbly suggest you purchase either a plugin Lamp Linc / On-Off Relay module instead.

As it provides bridging / coupling but also offers dual use for light - appliance control.

The RE only couples / bridges the Insteon network and relays RF to powerline communications and offers no secondary use. So if you're going to spend $40.XX Plus already might as well get dual use when and if you need it in the future.

I don't know that the battery lasts a whole year, but I would estimate that it is close (for me, at least). And I ue the cheapest batteries I can find and mine are outside.

Connecting a generic motion sensor to a micro module would allow one to trigger other insteon devices (such as a switch controlling a light fixture) when motion is sensed. Whether this is accomplished directly (via insteon linking) or through a controller such as the hub or ISY-994 is up to the individual.

Do you currently have any insteon devices? Do you understand the "mesh" network of insteon and that most insteon devices receive and repeat insteon commands? Or, are you starting from ground zero and looking at options?

No insteon devices yet and yes the mesh network is a concern. I want it to work without me chasing dead batteries in one of six motion detectors and six wireless door sensors etc. I already chase the damn smoke alarms all over the house with deas batteries. They drove me a little insane.

I don't have any lamps Teken.

How close is the motion sensor intended location to the existing light switch (switches?) that control the light fixtures?

I don't consider the mesh network anything to be "concerned" about...rather, something to be exploited.

A dead battery in one sensor would not cause the other sensors to fail, or your lights fail to respond to those other sensors. Failed batteries are pretty obvious and require no chasing, in my experience.

I understand.  The downside for hard-wired motion sensors can be cost (when adding the micromodule) and effort (wiring).  For you, it sounds like the benefit is worth it.

Another benefit with hardwired micromodule is that, unlike the battery motion sensor, will contribute to the insteon mesh network, repeating signals transmitted by other devices.

Otherwise, the use would be the same...trigger other insteon devices or scenes when motion is sensed.  Depending on your controller, you can also add other conditions.

I understand.  The downside for hard-wired motion sensors can be cost (when adding the micromodule) and effort (wiring).  For you, it sounds like the benefit is worth it.

Another benefit with hardwired micromodule is that, unlike the battery motion sensor, will contribute to the insteon mesh network, repeating signals transmitted by other devices.

Otherwise, the use would be the same...trigger other insteon devices or scenes when motion is sensed.  Depending on your controller, you can also add other conditions.

Yeah I like that a lot. My house has two separate electrical boxes so I'll need plenty of repeaters to bridge it I think. 

If you're talking about outside security lights, flood lights with motion sensors, the micro on/off or dimmer work a treat. I use them in my two outside installations. I've unwired the motion detector from directly controlling the lights, instead it is hooked to the sense wire of a micro module. So now, I can turn the lights on via regular old Insteon commands (a switch? my phone? a program?), but the motion detector will also turn the lights on. I've bound them both into a scene where they're both controllers, so if you trigger one light it'll turn the other on too. I like the dimmer best because you can set a ramp rate and on level, nice and slow and pretty low since I'm using them to see at night for the most part.

If you plan on using Insteon for other things, I wouldn't worry much about building out your repeater network. Just replace a few strategically located switches with dual band devices and grow from there. At all your panels, you could install a passive phase bridge to couple both legs. I imagine one in each of the secondary boxes would take care of all the circuits on them. I'm not sure if you'd need one in the primary or not, my logical guess is no... but maybe someone can chime in.

You'd just need one in your primary.

Most of my Insteon Motion Sensors are powered from a battery eliminator. The size of the house is inconsequential, proximity to a dual-band device, such as a switchLinc, plug-in module or Range Extender is what matters. I also hace non-Insteon, line powered motion sensors wired to Micro Modules.

No insteon devices yet and yes the mesh network is a concern. I want it to work without me chasing dead batteries in one of six motion detectors and six wireless door sensors etc. I already chase the damn smoke alarms all over the house with deas batteries. They drove me a little insane.

I don't have any lamps Teken.

You could add a program in your ISY to email, text or other notification to warn you when you have a low battery :) No chasing necessary.

Archived