Incorrect Status After Scene Executes

Chance

Hi all,

I've been trying to track down a strange issue.

Once a day, a unit will fail to act on a scene or direct command (manually, or programmatically)

Using an ISY994i

51 INSTEON devices

Home environment

Version 4.3.26 (UI + Firmware)

PLM (DB) v.9E

Issue persisting over the past month.

I've got a level 3 event log and successfully "caught it in the act" so to speak.

The series of events that happened.

1. Motion Sensor sends OFF
  2. ISY Program receives OFF and responds by having a scene turn off and by turning off another lamp
  3. Hall Lights do not turn off.
  4. Bedroom lamp shuts off.
  5. Logging into ISY shows the Hall Lights are "OFF"
  6. Perform status query on device, it corrects itself to show it's still been left on.

I've seen this happen when a scene turns ON and 4/5 devices respond accordingly, executing the scene again may get the last device to behave.

The only two major things that have happened to this network in the past month has been replacing a failed PLM.

and upgrading some light bulbs from incandescent to LED (verified dimmable).

short_log.txt

ISY Topology.v4.3.26__Wed 2015.11.25 06.46.13 PM.html

The devices in this example are the Floor 2 hall sensor (31.B6.01), Hallway Scene (61220), and the hallway lights (12.20.DD)

Which leads me to suspect PL noise, I'm not the best at looking through logs.

Would PL Noise show up in the event logs? If so, what pattern do I look for when trying to troubleshoot devices failing to "get the message" and the ISY "Not having a clue it failed"

Any pointers would be appreciated,

Thanks!

-Chance

The devices in this example are the Floor 2 hall sensor (31.B6.01), Hallway Scene (61220), and the hallway lights (12.20.DD)

Which leads me to suspect PL noise, I'm not the best at looking through logs.

Would PL Noise show up in the event logs? If so, what pattern do I look for when trying to troubleshoot devices failing to "get the message" and the ISY "Not having a clue it failed"

Any pointers would be appreciated,

Thanks!

-Chance

Do a diagnostics and compare on the hallway lights (12.20.DD).

If the diagnostics show a link mismatch then do a restore device

Noise does not show up in any logs. If the above doesn't resolve your problem then you may have a communications issue between the PLM and the device.

How are the hall lights set up to turn off. Is it by an ISY program triggered by the ms or a scene directly controlled by the ms. If it is a program then maybe you need to add a few seconds of wait time before the hall light off line to allow traffic to clear.

Hi all,

Do a diagnostics and compare on the hallway lights (12.20.DD).

If the diagnostics show a link mismatch then do a restore device

Tried that on one known troublemaker and had one mismatch. Restored, checked all correct. Issue persists.

If it is a program then maybe you need to add a few seconds of wait time before the hall light off line to allow traffic to clear.

Humm, they are triggered by program, never thought about collisions before. I'll try that too.

Also, come to think of it, most of the devices that are not listening all the time are older Power-line only modules. In fact, the kitchen (ie, the electrically noisiest place in the house), is all pre-dualband devices, which makes a nice spherical RF dead zone. I got a new KPL that I can swap out with one in a prime location. 

I'll see how these changes will go.

Thanks for your input.

-Chance

Kitchen appliances, large or small, are actually unlikely to cause power line noise unless they're really old. Electronic devices can be a problem, rarely an electrical device such as a refrigerator or mixer.

Archived