Difference between control vs status for TriggerLinc

ahwman

I have a pretty good idea of how control vs status works in conjunction with physical switches, however I'm not sure how these commands apply to TriggerLinc's and motion sensors or if it makes no difference when used with these devices. I would appreciate some clarification on this topic...

Thanks!

Chuck

If Control and If Status for a TriggerLinc (or Motion Sensor) have the same meaning as they do for a SwitchLinc.  Being battery devices the state of the TriggerLinc is lost across an ISY reboot because the TriggerLinc cannot be queried as part of the ISY restart.  Once the TriggerLinc is operated the state of the TriggerLinc is like a SwitchLinc Relay.

Are there specific questions?

If Control and If Status for a TriggerLinc (or Motion Sensor) have the same meaning as they do for a SwitchLinc.  Being battery devices the state of the TriggerLinc is lost across an ISY reboot because the TriggerLinc cannot be queried as part of the ISY restart.  Once the TriggerLinc is operated the state of the TriggerLinc is like a SwitchLinc Relay.

Are there specific questions?

Thanks for sharing. I was just trying to get a better understanding of when to use status vs control with these devices in my programs...

"If Control" is checking the command that is flowing from the device to the ISY.   Same logic if it is a SwitchLinc, a KPL button, TriggerLinc, Motion Sensor, IO Linc, Leak Sensor, etc.

If Control 'device' is switched On

can be used on any device, battery or powerline powered, that sends an On command to the ISY.  If Control is testing for the arrival of some specific command and as such the event has a short lifespan. 

If Control 'device1' is switched On

Or Control 'device2' is switched On

Then

is a perfectly good If Condition.

And Control 'device2' is switched On

Then

is a Condition that can never be True since a 'device1' On command cannot happen at the same time 'device2' On command happens.   The PLM and therefore the ISY can process only one inbound command at a time.

-------------------------------------------------------

If Status 'device1' is On

is checking the Current State of device1.   Device1 could be turned on by a Program, by another device (Scene), or turned On locally.  Current State can be long lasting.

Or Status 'device2 is On

Then

is a valid If Condition. 

And Status 'device2 is On

Then

is also a valid If Condition as both 'device1' and 'device2' can have a Current State of On at the same time.

"If Control" is checking the command that is flowing from the device to the ISY.   Same logic if it is a SwitchLinc, a KPL button, TriggerLinc, Motion Sensor, IO Linc, Leak Sensor, etc.

If Control 'device' is switched On

can be used on any device, battery or powerline powered, that sends an On command to the ISY.  If Control is testing for the arrival of some specific command and as such the event has a short lifespan. 

Or Control 'device2' is switched On

Then

is a perfectly good If Condition.

And Control 'device2' is switched On

Then

is a Condition that can never be True since a 'device1' On command cannot happen at the same time 'device2' On command happens.   The PLM and therefore the ISY can process only one inbound command at a time.

-------------------------------------------------------

is checking the Current State of device1.   Device1 could be turned on by a Program, by another device (Scene), or turned On locally.  Current State can be long lasting.

Or Status 'device2 is On

Then

is a valid If Condition. 

And Status 'device2 is On

Then

is also a valid If Condition as both 'device1' and 'device2' can have a Current State of On at the same time.

Wow! Thanks so much for the detailed information - this is a keeper. I'll file this away for future reference...

Chuck

Archived