Insteon Outdoor On/Off Load Sensing problem

I changed my "Outdoor Switch" load sense from default-"off" to -"on". The "on"/"off" state of the device displays correctly in ADMIN, when I control it from my ISY.

If the outdoor switch is set to off (led-red), (ADMIN console displays -off) and I turn the lamp, plugged into it, on...the led turns green, the lamp turns on and "on" is displayed on my admin console. Correct!

However, when I turn the lamp off, the led on the outdoor switch remains green (supposed to change to red) and ADMIN continues to display "On" instead of off. 

I deleted the device from ISY several times, reset the device, then re-linked to ISY but same problem occurs. If I physically press the set button on ISY when light is on, it will turn the light off and led turns red....which is correct.

Any thoughts what the problem is?

Thanks-Alan Brothers

I changed my "Outdoor Switch" load sense from default-"off" to -"on". The "on"/"off" state of the device displays correctly in ADMIN, when I control it from my ISY.

If the outdoor switch is set to off (led-red), (ADMIN console displays -off) and I turn the lamp, plugged into it, on...the led turns green, the lamp turns on and "on" is displayed on my admin console. Correct!

However, when I turn the lamp off, the led on the outdoor switch remains green (supposed to change to red) and ADMIN continues to display "On" instead of off. 

I deleted the device from ISY several times, reset the device, then re-linked to ISY but same problem occurs. If I physically press the set button on ISY when light is on, it will turn the light off and led turns red....which is correct.

Any thoughts what the problem is?

Thanks-Alan Brothers

Can you expand on the bolded red section I am unclear what method is used to turn the device off / on? Also can you indicate the exact model of insteon device?

Thank you for your interest in helping solve the problem.

Insteon Model: On/Off Outdoor Module # 2634-222 

1-I turn off/on from ISY, led on Outdoor Module changes red off, to green on, off/on status displays correctly in Admin Console and lamp turns off/on properly 

2- I turn off/on by pressing/toggling Outdoor Module Set button. Led on Outdoor Module changes red off, to green on, off/on status displays correctly in Admin Console and lamp turns off/on properly.

3- If I physically turn lamp switch from an off position to on, led on Outdoor module changes from red off to green on, Admin Console status changes correctly from off to on.  However, if I then physically turn the lamp switch off from an on position, the lamp turns off but the led does not change from green on to red  off and Admin Console status does not change from "on" to "off".

Thank you for your interest in helping solve the problem.

Insteon Model: On/Off Outdoor Module # 2634-222 

1-I turn off/on from ISY, led on Outdoor Module changes red off, to green on, off/on status displays correctly in Admin Console and lamp turns off/on properly 

2- I turn off/on by pressing/toggling Outdoor Module Set button. Led on Outdoor Module changes red off, to green on, off/on status displays correctly in Admin Console and lamp turns off/on properly.

3- If I physically turn lamp switch from an off position to on, led on Outdoor module changes from red off to green on, Admin Console status changes correctly from off to on.  However, if I then physically turn the lamp switch off from an on position, the lamp turns off but the led does not change from green on to red  off and Admin Console status does not change from "on" to "off".

Please indicate what the load is on the outdoor module. Next remove the load and repeat step 3 and report back what happens.

The load is a 60 watt bulb. If I remove the load nothing happens to the Outdoor module led or admin console status.

Interesting, have you moved the device to another outlet to see if the Admin Console reacts? Also how old is this unit because I wanted to call out the earliest units were not dual band.

Is the bulb a standard incandescent bulb?

Yes incandescent. I purchased the device from Smarthome last month. I tried a different lamp at different part of house and have the same problem. I think this is a hardware issue? Any other thoughts would be appreciated. If not, thank you for taking the time.

It looks to me like its operating as *they* expect it to be honest. Can you offer some insight as to the purpose of using the actual switch to the lamp opposed to the on-off on the Insteon module?

I won't lie to you I've never seen much value in the load sense unless the over all goal was to activate another linked device in the home. Meaning if I manually operate that appliance I want that condition to be known and relayed to another linked device to do something else.

Is this the goal?

I believe that is the way Load sensing works.

If the module is Off. You can toggle the mechanical switch on the load and the module will go On.

If the module is On turning the loads mechanical switch Off. Will not cause the module to go back Off.

The lamp is only a test for my actual goal. My swimming pool has a mesh cover which allows water to rise, potentially freeze and break the 6" band of tiles around the perimeter. I have purchased a float, designed for use with sump pumps, that has a built in switch to activate/deactivate (depending on water level) a submerged water pump. The pump plugs into the end of the float's piggyback A/C connection which I intend to plug into the Insteon outdoor module. When the float reaches a certain water height, the switch activates the pump which then puts a load on the outdoor module and should automatically turn on and off when water level is dropped to a specific level. In that regard, I don't need the ISY to trigger on/off commands to the pump which operates in an autonomous manner. However, I wish to receive an alert advising when the pump turns "on" and follow up alert to advise it has turned "off". So, the change of state needs to work. As stated above, On works but off doesn't. Because this equipment combination i.e. float used with pump during winter in swimming pool, I want to monitor it closely. Lastly, by looking at the ISY program summary and system log, I can see how often and long the pump runs. I tried a different approach using a water sensor probe wired to an open/close sensor. It worked but not consistently. 

I believe that is the way Load sensing works.

If the module is Off. You can toggle the mechanical switch on the load and the module will go On.

If the module is On turning the loads mechanical switch Off. Will not cause the module to go back Off.

My dimmer modules turn off (change sate to red led and status on Admin console) when I manually turn a lamp off. Seems to me the same should happen with the outdoor module. Thanks for your reply.

Archived