Range Extender location!

keribi

The first pair should be located as close to the panel as possible. Additional dual-band devices serve to increase the range and reliability of the Insteon network.

• 2 months later...

I have a noob question. Do I need 2 range extenders or will 1 do? I got the extender because I seem to have a weak zone in my bedroom. I thought I'd plus it in on the same circuit but closer to my isy. Is that a no Bueno?

Also, the extender I just got has a device address on the back, but my isy says it's an unsupported device?

I have a noob question. Do I need 2 range extenders or will 1 do? I got the extender because I seem to have a weak zone in my bedroom. I thought I'd plus it in on the same circuit but closer to my isy. Is that a no Bueno?

Also, the extender I just got has a device address on the back, but my isy says it's an unsupported device?

Range extenders simply repeat both powerline and RF signals and using two can help bridging issues and further extend network but not always required.

You can test your network comms by opening Event Viewer to Level 3 and activating devices from the admin console.  You'll be looking at Hops Left=(x) where 3 or 2=good and less=poor.

The address isn't used for anything and may simply be part of the chip firmware as I believe it uses the same frame as the Lamplinc and On/Off module.

Jon...

You need two dual-band devices to bridge the opposite legs of the split, single-phase electric supply. Once you have verified coupling, then any additional dual-band device serves to increase the range and reliability ot the Insteon network.

Range Extenders work by plugging them in. There is no need nor can you add the Range Extender to the ISY.

Best practice that has worked for hundreds of installs has been to place any plugin dual band device on each level and at the corners of the home.

I prefer to use the On-Off Module / Lamp Linc as they offer dual use whereas the Access Point (Range Extender) only offers coupling / bridging of the Insteon network.

If you're going to spend money might as well have something you can use opposed to a wall wart that does nothing but couple the signal!

I also like the On-Off Module because it allows me to turn RF/Power Line signalling when and (IF) required for testing and diagnostics.

Archived