Insteon Refurbished Products - Requiring Support?

Teken

During the last few months it has been seen that Smarthome is in the middle of clearing out the entire warehouse of customer returns.

These devices have been identified as refurbished and the product in most cases are given a slight discount from the daily retail price. In the past many of these refurbished devices actually had firmware that called out they were indeed refurbed!

Meaning, unless the device signature was known to UDI these devices would not be accepted when being enrolled.

I know this question is almost comical to ask but I am going to ask anyways. Does UDI currently have the latest signatures and definitions (API) to support these Refurbished products?

As in the past there was only a few items - But now the entire line is being pushed out enmass to the public and I am sure there will be quite a few people wondering why it won't enroll.

If this isn't on the radar and wasn't apparent please engage your contacts to ensure the information is made available.

http://www.smarthome.com/insteon/insteon-refurbs.html

I have had no issues with the Refurbished ON/OFF Modules and 2457D2R Lamplinc I have purchased.

They did have a R appended on the part number and not the latest firmware. I don't think Smarthome or Smartlabs is going to take a module apart to reprogram its firmware.

There may have been retail part numbers on some of the other models I have purchased. Though they where things that may not be normally added like Access Points.

I have had no issues with the Refurbished ON/OFF Modules and 2457D2R Lamplinc I have purchased.

They did have a R appended on the part number and not the latest firmware. I don't think Smarthome or Smartlabs is going to take a module apart to reprogram its firmware.

There may have been retail part numbers on some of the other models I have purchased. Though they where things that may not be normally added like Access Points.

Hello Brian,

I suspect you're correct it would be hard to believe they would take that much effort to reprogram the entire line. Then again they did it to the I/O Linc which UDI had to make add in the signature for that lone piece of hardware.

I swear in the forums there was another device where a refurbished device would not add into the 994 Series Controller until UDI made changes to reflect this distinction.

Lets see how this unfolds in the next few months . . .

Archived