What is the correct way to swap out a faulty switch?

gweempose

I have a 2477 dimmer that is starting to act flaky. The switch is currently part of quite a few scenes. How do I swap it for a new one in the ISY without having to manually re-do all the links?

Add in the new switch and name it what ever then go to the (old) existing switch and right mouse click and select replace with. Follow the prompts that show up and the ISY will reboot.

The new switch will *assume* the name and all the attributes of the old . . .

Thanks!

Just to be clear, once I have added the new switch to the ISY, I right click on the OLD switch and replace it with the new switch? Will it automatically remove the old switch from the ISY once it moves everything over to the new switch, or do I have to delete it manually?

Yes after the new one is added. When you click on the bad one. The replace with will give you a list of modules of the same type including the new one added. Pick the new ones name and it will replace all the places the old one was.

The original bad one should no longer be in the Administrative Console or any scenes it was in. The new one should have replaced it.

If the old switch had any battery operated devices like a Motion Sensor controlling it. It would have to be woken up for the new switches ID to be written to it.

Also, one thing that needs to be called out in case it wasn't made clear anywhere in the forums. Do not name the new device the same (literal) name!

Doing so will cause the controller to *attempt* to swap the two and at some point it will get confused and than declare a fault. You don't want to end up there because it will screw up any programs, scenes, links, that were there before.

You can certainly call it dog2 for example if dog was the existing switch . . . Once the swap has been completed you can rename it back to the old name say dog.

Thanks for all the help, guys! It worked like a charm.

Also, one thing that needs to be called out in case it wasn't made clear anywhere in the forums. Do not name the new device the same (literal) name!

Doing so will cause the controller to *attempt* to swap the two and at some point it will get confused and than declare a fault. You don't want to end up there because it will screw up any programs, scenes, links, that were there before.

You can certainly call it dog2 for example if dog was the existing switch . . . Once the swap has been completed you can rename it back to the old name say dog.

I didn't read this until after I had done the swap. Fortunately, I gave the new device a different name. The original device was called "Island Lights", and I named the new device "Island Lights - TEMP" It just seemed like an easy way to keep track of it. :)

Glad it all worked out and the swap went smoothly. For the benefit of others can you offer a little more insight to the hardware revision, production date on the white sticker on the bad unit. If you could also indicate what the ISY firmware was in the Admin Console and offer insight as to what exactly was wrong with the unit on hand being *flaky*?

Glad it all worked out and the swap went smoothly. For the benefit of others can you offer a little more insight to the hardware revision, production date on the white sticker on the bad unit. If you could also indicate what the ISY firmware was in the Admin Console and offer insight as to what exactly was wrong with the unit on hand being *flaky*?

I was wrong. It was actually a 2476D dimmer. I'm not sure when it was made, as there doesn't appear to be a date on it anywhere. One sticker says 2476D with "0826" below it. The other sticker says V4.0 with "5546" below it. The dimmer started acting weird and would sometimes become completely unresponsive. It also would randomly lose communication with other devices. I tried resetting it, but it didn't help.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same question, but this answer isn't working for me. I am replacing a 2456D3. Am I supposed o  be on the Main tab of the admin console?

I right-click on the old device and the choices I get are Query; Rename; Disable; Remove from Folder; Add to Scene; Move to Folder; Write Updates to Device; Restore Device; Notes; Diagnostics; Advanced. This is on v.4.3.26.

Archived