New install, where do I begin?

Jay M

I my home I have dozens of Insteon devices, at least one X-10, and I'm on my second ISY unit.  My house has evolved into something that works, but I suspect that If I were to start over again, it would work better.  I feel like I know just enough to be dangerous!  But there are some luxuries in life that once you have experienced, are hard to live without - automated lighting is one of them.  I can't imagine coming home to a dark house, or sitting in my living room and then needing to get up to adjust 4 different dimmers every single night just to make the room look right.

Today, I just purchased a bunch of stuff for my Mom's new house.  The goal is for every switch to be Insteon, and have only lighting being controlled by the ISY 994 ir Pro.

Ideally, she shouldn't even know it all exists except for a few keypdlincs that do things like turn on back yard lights, turn off all lights, and maybe a few presets.

A few things I'd like it to do:

-turn on landscape lights at dark, then off late at night

-turn on the living room lights before dark.

-create an all lights ON, and all lights OFF button.

-create back yard flood lights ON and OFF buttons in various locations.

I'll tell you what I think, and you tell me if I'm correct:

1. Plug in the ISY and PLM, make sure I can get into it on the computer.

2. Install the 15 or so Insteon switches one at a time, and add them one at a time to the ISY. Question - Is that really necessary, or can I install them all at once?

3. install keypadlincs 

4. create scenes.

5. create programs.

Do you have any tips?

An important goal is to keep it as simple as possible if that will improve reliability.  

What will I lose if the PLM dies, or the ISY dies?

Thanks in advance for your help!  I could never get all this stuff working without your help.

~Jay

Have you considered bridging electrical legs?  This can be done with a phase coupler or a couple of range extenders

Anyway.. after getting ISY up and running with the latest firmware you can start installing switches, one or all but they need to be linked independently (install then link one at a time starting nearest the PLM may be helpful.)

After that developing scenes and programs is the remaining piece.  It may be helpful to install the portal so you'll have easy remote access to your Mom's ISY.

Jon...

You can install all power line device in one fell swoop. Select Start Linking (rotating arrows icon), press and hold each set button (the device will appear in a list) and select Finish. This is a great method for a new install.

Thanks Jon.

With all of the devices being dual band, is an access point, or range extender still needed?

What exactly is the portal?  I do like the idea of remote access even though she'll be living near by.

~Jay

You can install all power line device in one fell swoop. Select Start Linking (rotating arrows icon), press and hold each set button (the device will appear in a list) and select Finish. This is a great method for a new install.

Thanks, that's good to know, and with a wireless laptop it should go fairly quickly.

~Jay

When I installed all my devices, I made a list of each switch, where it was going to be installed and the insteon ID #. Just add them to the system all at once. When you get back to the computer, you will have a long list of ID#'s and no idea where they are in the house. Break out the list and label each switch.

Good Luck

Thanks Jon.

With all of the devices being dual band, is an access point, or range extender still needed?

What exactly is the portal?  I do like the idea of remote access even though she'll be living near by.

~Jay

Range Extenders, Lamplincs, On/OFF Modules I believe all utilize similar RF transmitters which IMO are noticeably stronger than that used with hardwired devices like switchlincs or outletlincs.  I don't know the hardware specifics and really am just guessing (this effect may be due to the fact the device isn't set in the wall) however, the phase coupler is hardwired and doesn't rely on RF which ensures coupling.  Whether or not you'll need bridging in your install is questionable but lack of it surely causes problems.

The Portal is UDI's secure gateway to ISY eliminating the need for DDNS and hassling with certificates plus added benefits of the network resource module, Echo and IFTTT integration.

Jon...

I think you have the right idea and a good process.

I try to do as much as I can with scenes, and then use programs just to accomplish the things that would be too clunky to do with scenes alone. 

Have you thought about using any sensors?   Motion, leak, door, etc?

Have you thought about using any sensors?   Motion, leak, door, etc?

I did install a self monitored security system called skylinknet.  I also installed a few cameras by Amcrest.  

What is the advantage of using Insteon leak and door sensors?  

~Jay

Other that they detect leaks or door openings, do you mean advantage over other protocols such as Z-Wave or over other Insteon compatible sensors?

Yes, sorry, I should have been more specific.  I know there are now Insteon cameras, leak sensors, and even thermostats.  But I don't understand what those functions have to do with lighting.

Is there a specific advantage to having all of those types of devices in the same family?  Or am I better off just buying the best in class.

My opinion:

- Insteon - best do it yourself lighting 

- Nest - Best smart thermostat (according to my friends, I don't see the need for a smart thermostat)

- Amcreast - best wifi camera, (according to amazon and other reviews).

- Skylinknet - best self monitored security (specifically for MY needs) Super easy to set up, no monthly fees, fairly inexpensive.

Just to be clear, because sometimes I'm not a good written communicator, I'm not trying to argue a position or viewpoint, I just want to know what other peoples opinions and thoughts are on having Insteon communicate with everything.

Thanks,

~Jay

Insteon seems primarily designed for the DIYer

Nest has been the subject of several articles indicating that it's easy to hack into your LAN

I searched Google for "best ip camera." Amcrest did not make any list.

I don't know much about Skylinknet, but the most popular security system among posters on this form is Elk, albeit costly, but Elk integrates with the ISY. Too, IMO a security system, if you need one, is not the place to skimp.

Is there a specific advantage to having all of those types of devices in the same family?

I don't know about having everything in the same "family", but having devices that can communicate with your controller is nice, in my mind.  With the ISY, you can easily speak to insteon and Z-wave devices, with an Elk security system, and (with some knowldege) darn near anything that speaks network.

The advantage of this is, for example, the ability to push a single button and have your house turn into vacation mode...lighting schedules, water shutoff, thermostat settings, things like that.  Or, exploiting security sensors to trigger lighting (no need for separate motion or door sensors).  To me, the integration is all based on the controller device, in this case, the ISY-994.

Cameras, on the other hand....I have never seen much value in that.  The only thing that I can think of is that some apps offer the ability to view video feeds while simultaneously controlling insteon devices.  Perhaps that is of some value, but it has little to do with integrating insteon communication with a camera.  Furthermore, with some tablets offering split screen capability, one can simply run two apps, one for the video and one for insteon.

Whether this is enough value for you, only you can decide.  Personally, I don't integrate thermostats with insteon (not worth the extra dollars to me to save less than a minute per year).  If I had a security system, I WOULD value using the sensors for double duty.

Thanks for the replies.

The security system I bought was pretty inexpensive. The house is in an area where it isn't really needed, but the house will be vacant for a few months so I want to keep an eye on it. If security were a real concern, I think I would just have a real name brand professionally installed and monitored system.

There are many ip wifi camera options. The Amcrest were inexpensive, feature rich, and have great reviews. The model I bought has a built in recorder, but I can also pay for cloud storage, or buy dvr for them. It's pretty cool to have options like that on a $100 camera.

I do like the idea of having door sensors attached to lighting. Can the elk sensors trigger lighting? With a 6 month battery life, that Insteon sensors seem like too much work.

A secondary reason for a security system is to keep an eye on my aging mother. She's in the early stages of Altzhiemers. It will be nice to get a notification on my phone if a door opens at an odd time so I'll know to check on her. The cameras may need to go away when she moves in, but I'll try to talk her into having some on the outside of the house.

~Jay

I believe Elk sensors can trigger ISY programs, which means they could, indeed, trigger lighting.  Or notifications.  Insteon door sensors could do the same thing, but it would be nice not to have two sensors on each door.  My experience is that insteon door sensor batteries last a bit longer than a year.

An alternative to insteon battery sensors would be a simple contact sensor wired to one of those Smartenit EZIO modules.  No batteries required.  I think there is one unit that can take up to four inputs.

I believe Elk sensors can trigger ISY programs, which means they could, indeed, trigger lighting. Or notifications.

I do exactly this with my Elk sensors. All can be used to trigger programs on ISY, as long as you have the Elk module installed and configured.

I find that if installing a lot of devices I want to make sure they work before installing them and I would rather not run back and forth to/from the switch location, breaker box and the PC.  You can set up a simple lab bench that allows you to quickly attach to power and add them in one location, then turn off the breakers and install all at once.  I just use a power cord and wire nuts that can be plugged into an outlet, but you could wire up a box with a switch to cut power and quick connectors of some kind to make it even easier.

Archived