NEW Amazon Echo Dot and Tap

BamBamF16

I have estimated delivery on march 31st, but I am considering just cancelling the order and just buying a used Echo on craigslist for $25 more. I don't know if there is any advantage to buy the Dot over the regular echo if the full version can be had for around the same price. 

March 31?  As Tim suggested in his post, you might have a goldmine right there, to resell at a markup or even trade someone for an echo, given the long long delays.

March 31?  As Tim suggested in his post, you might have a goldmine right there, to resell at a markup or even trade someone for an echo, given the long long delays.

Yes, I just double checked, and it is March 31st. Not sure why everybody has much later delivery dates. I was pretty bummed when I saw the March 31st delivery date, I couldn't imagine having to wait until July... I ordered pretty late on March 3rd, around 6PM EST. I did spend around $50k with Amazon since last year so maybe that gives me some leverage with pre-orders...

Madcodger, although I haven't followed it closely and I may be mistaken, I thought that setting up sub-accounts for individual Echoes was a way to address this need. I haven't had the need for this and therefore haven't set up sub-accounts, but I don't know what other utility they serve.

I have three Echos that know which room they are in. That way, I can say, "Alexa, turn on the light," and only the light in that particular room turns on. If I'm in the dining room and want to turn on the kitchen light, then I do need to specify the "kitchen" light.

Hoe does your naming conventions provide

The only reason this won't work for me is that I then lose my Amazon music as it is only on the primary account.  Switching profiles is not practical for WAF.

I figured there was a down-side to the sub-account route. Fortunately, my naming conventions obviate them.

How do your naming conventions allow Prime music on the sub-accounts?

Madcodger, although I haven't followed it closely and I may be mistaken, I thought that setting up sub-accounts for individual Echoes was a way to address this need. I haven't had the need for this and therefore haven't set up sub-accounts, but I don't know what other utility they serve.

The sub-account route is not, in my view, acceptable. It is a kludgy workaround to something that Amazon could easily address for its Connected Home feature set.

A purpose of sub-accounts is to not have to give each device a different name. If we're in the bedroom, "Alexa, turn the light on," turns on the bedroom light, the same command in the living room turns on the living room light, in the dining room, the dining room light turns on.

I also use unique names for the maximum in convenience and flexibility. When in the kitchen we can ask Alexa to turn the light on, but from the living room, we tell Alexa to turn on the kitchen light. That's not unlike ordinary conversation. We don't ask someone to turn the dining room light on when we're in the dining room, we do if we're not in the dining room.

It's true. Each account requires Prime membership to access prime benefits. I found that out when I created a sub-account for the bedroom where we have Fire TV. We lost the ability to use the TV remote as an Echo controller. But, with an Echo in that room, we really don't need that ability.

A purpose of sub-accounts is to not have to give each device a different name. If we're in the bedroom, "Alexa, turn the light on," turns on the bedroom light, the same command in the living room turns on the living room light, in the dining room, the dining room light turns on.

I also use unique names for the maximum in convenience and flexibility. When in the kitchen we can ask Alexa to turn the light on, but from the living room, we tell Alexa to turn on the kitchen light. That's not unlike ordinary conversation. We don't ask someone to turn the dining room light on when we're in the dining room, we do if we're not in the dining room.

I am sure there are many use cases and instants where someone may be in a room. Then shortly there after require more light and do what ever to make it so, no?

I've been in many rooms where I didn't notice the gradual day light fading away and just kept on working. Until it became too dark to continue reading, working, what ever. As stated, I would be in that room and obviously would turn on those lights via what ever method.

For me lots of this is quite automated which is why all of us are here!

Ha . . .

In some specific rooms just me walking in turns on specific task lighting. While others nothing happens until a defined time has arrived. In other cases using iBeacons the system only keeps the lights on so long as (I) or a specific (Human) is present.

Then we all have the Amazon Echo which offers another method and layer to enable various loads etc.

I've been in many rooms where I didn't notice the gradual day light fading away and just kept on working. Until it became too dark to continue reading, working, what ever. As stated, I would be in that room and obviously would turn on those lights via what ever method.

I've been in that situation where I had to stop what I was doing (e.g., on a ladder, under a desk) to turn the light on. Now, with an Echo, I can continue without disruption B)

Agreed, or where no one is around to do the same definitely a handy resource when needed. Back on topic, how many people are considering the tap device as I see lots of discussion on the little dot but no voices showing any love for the battery operated version.

Can't speak for anyone else but I didn't find the casing for the tap very pleasing. Not too sure why they didn't just add a mega battery to the existing Amazon Echo?

Archived