Micro Controller for exterior shutters on Linear Actuators

smithlevenson

I am building some shutters that will be connected to a barn door rail and I want to close them when the sun hits the window in the late afternoon and then opens them back at sunset.

Has anyone done this? I figure the micro controller will be enough to flip the switch to activate the actuators, but have some questions on a few issues.

1) what type of actuators to use? I don't want to burn out motors since the shutters will be pretty heavy (9' x 2.5' each with a 30"+ Stroke). Any brands that have a cutoff when stuck?

2) Temperature sensor or light meter? Which is more reliable? I don't mind the sun when it is cool, but it melts you when it's hot.

Any ideas welcome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an interesting project and I'd like to hear more about it as you progress!

Here's an option for the actuator.  Something less obtrusive like screw driven might be found but likely much more expensive.

As for programming... you can get weather info, temp & light from the ISY climate module but a local sensor would likely be more immediate though maybe not necessary.

Jon...

Archived