Alexa just stopped saying 'ok'

DonB

On the settings menu, select your echo device, then select sounds. I see 2 new options, that look like they may allow you to select the sound, but it is greyed out, says an update is needed. So, perhaps it is coming soon...

I now see "Wake up sound" and "End of request sound"  I am able to activate and deactivate both.

The first has Alexa make a sound similar to a light saber when you say her name.

The second is a sound in addition to the "OK".  And the sound is not the two-tone confirmation we used to have.

Seems like Amazon may be doing some A/B testing?

I now see "Wake up sound" and "End of request sound" I am able to activate and deactivate both.

The first has Alexa make a sound similar to a light saber when you say her name.

The second is a sound in addition to the "OK". And the sound is not the two-tone confirmation we used to have.

Seems like Amazon may be doing some A/B testing?

iOS 3077 and can confirm this too.

Completely agree. I think this is the only internet connected device I have ever owned where the manufacturer just pushes changes without any input or communication with the consumer (and frankly I don't care for it).

I ran through the a list of connected devices I own..

Isy

Xbox one

DVD player

Apple TV

iPhones

iPads

Asus router

Ip camera's

Not one of these devices will install an update without letting the consumer know and then the echo comes along.... Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the echo but them making changes whenever they want is annoying!

Yes, its right up there with Nest!

Nobody has to ask how that X-MAS OTA update turned out for tens of thousands of users in the dead of winter either . . .

Ha . . .

I sent the following email to Amazon....

Alexa used to say "ok" when confirming a response, then she started just using a tone to confirm response (which was nicer than the "ok) and now it's back to "ok". Why do you keep changing it and why are you not telling the consumer when you are going to make these changes?

They responded with a typical canned response explaining that I can update at any time via the Alexa app! Yeah thanks, that's exactly what I asked!! LOL

Follows up with this email....

I asked the question as to why Echo used to say "ok" to confirm commands, then ok was replaced with a tone and now its back to "ok" The person that responded gave me the canned response (probably out of some customer service book). What I want to know is why Amazon makes changes to their software without any notification to the consumer. I can imagine that if every consumer called amazon every time they made an undocumented change, echo tech support would be very busy! My question is very simple. Why doesn't Amazon publish release notes for when they make changes to the functionality of the device? Other major software developers (Apple, Microsoft, etc.) publish release notes or provide documentation, why doesn't Amazon?

And got this response....

Hello James,

Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts about the OK prompt on your Alexa devise. I would like to give you an answer that doesn't sound canned and that would address your concern. At this moment I do not have one. Most answers are in the official Amazon Echo help and FAQ page or on the Customer Questions and Answers section.

I understand that you would like to have Amazon publish release notes for when they make changes to the functionality of the device besides the weekly news on Alexa sent to customers on a weekly basis there isn't a release not at present.

I’ve passed your suggestion to our development team. I do apologize for any issue this may cause you, we really want you to feel supported a 100% always.

At least it wasn't another canned response! Guess I will wait to see if development responds, probably not :(

My feed back to them via the smart application was to include the option to toggle between the two choices of either voice vs tone response.

I also reiterated that the company should use the technology already present which is the smart application. To announce service outages, updates, and pending changes.

Thus far the Amazon company has proven to be very responsive to the client base while offering probably the most value from service / products.

For now I am going to abstain and give them a pass and see how they move forward in the next 18 months.

Here is my reply from Cassie B at Amazon.

c46aaac01cebf100f5e76552d29dcfdf.jpg

=========================

The highest calling in life is to serve ones country faithfully - Teach others what can be. Do what is right and not what is popular.

I love Amazon. Their responses like this make them seem like a real person, that they can relate to you, and act like they will solve your problem. Bravo Amazon I love you! Seriously Amazon is amazing!

I would be surprised if the choice between the two isn't implemented in the future.

Given the amount of noise generated by those that wanted ok back, including me, I suspect reverting was the quickest answer.

Amazon has been amazingly responsive to requests in my opinion, which is what caused this in the first place.