ISY Loopy Linking - Continual writing to PLM in Linking Mode

svetter

Folks,

I accidentally linked the Link Management -> Start Linking to see what it was about (the ISY read in direct links from previous software management so I've only had to manage scenes up to now). And I didn't see a way to cancel!  So, before I started I shut down the Administration Console and when I logged back in the system status is Linking.  I can't get it to stop.  I am remote from the device.  How do I interrupt and reset the process?   It just tries to write to the PLM and this has been going on for hours.

-Scott

That will have to wait until I'm by the device.  Thanks!  I'm actually pretty experienced with Insteon, but still learning the differences between HomeLinc where I initially set up my mesh.

About the links.  I migrated to the ISY from HomeLinc software.  When I added it, it read in the existing topology and I was able to give the scenes names and not numbers, but generally manage only the scenes.

With HomeLinc, you could drag a responder to a controller and create a link.  You didn't have to put devices into linking mode (or at least that is how they made it look).

In UD's Admin Console, the drag drop only works for scenes.  I was looking for a way to link to devices remotely and got myself into this situation.

Everything was fine until I replaced a KeyLinc, but that is a story from another thread.

When I tried to reboot through the admin console, it closes, but when I reconnect the linking process keeps going.  Perhaps it is not actually rebooting or "Catch up on Schedules at Reboot" Causing this?

I just test this Link Management -> Start Linking and nothing happened but it simply closed because nothing was in linking mode.

here's the trace from Event Viewer Level 3

Mon 03/21/2016 04:21:24 PM : Start Insteon Device Linking Mode
Mon 03/21/2016 04:21:24 PM : [LNK-BGN     ] 02 64 01 00 06
Mon 03/21/2016 04:21:30 PM : Stop Insteon Device Linking Mode, Final processing to follow
Mon 03/21/2016 04:21:30 PM : [LNK-END     ] 02 65 06 : : Unexpected, ignored (65)
Mon 03/21/2016 04:21:30 PM : [All         ] Writing 0 bytes to devices
Mon 03/21/2016 04:21:30 PM : [All         ] Writing 0 bytes to devices

You might post your trace and that might give a clue.

Jon...

I doubt Start Linking is in a loop.   There is device activity that the ISY feels is necessary and will continue until complete.  Cancelling the process only slows down completion.  If you want to know what is actually happening run the event viewer at LEVEL 3.  With your Insteon experience the event trace should not be difficult to understand.

Correction - force closed the admin console because there was no cancel button on Start Linking.   So, the active event view would be forced closed as well.  Let me clear logs and start again.  May take several hours if it hangs again.   Since I didn't have any devices in linking mode, is there a time out value for the operation? -Scott

So, I was able to reproduce the problem.  I cleared my Java cache, then opened the Admin Console.  Link Management --> Start Linking and then closed the admin console.  When I re-opened it, I am back in the linking loop.

It appears it has accepted the default and looking for devices to link and may not have a timeout!

Clearing java cache won't stop a process ISY is active in.  Try Start Linking then click Finish and see what happens.  Also, if that doesn't work open Event Viewer to Level 3 and record events for short period then copy to clipboard and paste into message.

Jon...

There is no CANCEL button as that leaves necessary work undone.    Look at all the nodes for a Green or Gray Icon with 1011 indicating pending activity is required.    

Suggest clicking Help | About.   What is displayed for Firmware?   What is displayed for UI (Admin Console)?  They should be 4.3.26 or higher and be at the same level.

I cleared the cache as a prevention in case I had a stale Admin Console.   When I started this, the even log (level 3) had two entries in them, that the linking process was started (yes, before I pressed finish) and a row of hex data.  When I forced the admin console to close, I lost this data.

I am in the loop again.  The progress meter ticks up to 99% and loops again, and the event viewer has 0 (no) entries.  It appears the ISY is simply ticking off time and waiting for a device to start linking to interrupt it.   It is very patient (more than me) and will wait for hours.

Since I am again in this long time out loop, I will go have a beer.

ISY and Admin both on v.4.3.26

The more I think about it, the more the default radio button to manually link devices is dangerous.   I was exploring linking since that is something I haven't done in the ISY..  I was hoping I could remotely link devices much the way in HomeLinc. 

No, I completely backed out of using HouseLinc because it no longer understood new firmware switches, so completely migrated.  In response to an earlier question I left unanswered, the PowerLinc Modem always seems to have 1010 next to it.  This started about a month ago.  I even did a factory reset of it, and  File --> Restore Modem (PLM) and it is still there. Also tried Write Updates to Device.

I contacted Tech Support and there was excellent response.   Here is what I learned so far.  There is a difference between launching the Admin Console from a Browser and Launching it using the ISY Finder.  I don't completely understand the difference yet, but the hang condition does not happen when launched from the ISY Finder.  Tech Support said this could be filewall issues, but I haven't looked into that.

Overall, I am still looking for a way using the ISY that I can remotely link two devices as I could with HouseLinc.  It makes sense when there are many devices, but it I have a 3-way switch and a single load, I would just link to link the load controller with the Aux. switch.

Thanks!  That is pretty much what I figured out - create a scene for the cross link.  I guess it was the ISY's design approach to use scenes.

As for the updates:

The only device that shows it has an update pending is the PLM.  The PLM shows up twice.  Once under the ISY list, and the other under Scene 82 (which I have yet to research what that is).  Maybe something the HouseLinc created that was imported with the links when I migrated over.  It is a reasonable mesh (26 scenes, and >40 devices) and I didn't want to start from scratch.  Devices that I have installed from a factory reset state and not migrated links to do not appear in it.  Is it reasonable to delete Scene 82?  If it has no special meaning to the ISY, I don't use it as it has no controllers except the PLM.

Archived