Looking for camera recommendations

jseay

I am looking for recommendations for a camera to view people at my front door.

Does not need to be weatherproof (large front porch, camera mounting location doesn't get wet, does get cold - Michigan)

Motion detection

Record on motion

Would like to configure smart phone notifications on motion detection but only when ISY system is in designated states. i.e. Away or Nighttime

Notifications via email or SMS or IFTTT

Link in notification to live viewing on computer or mobile device

ISY controller supports Insteon, X10, and Z-Wave

Ranch house with full basement - can easily run wires if needed

Tl;DR answer:  HikVision, e.g. DS-2CD3345

Is stealthiness and/or size a concern?    My broad recommendation is to choose non-wireless cameras which specifically claim compatibility with "ONVIF Profile S" and standard PoE (IEEE 802.3at or IEEE 802.3af).

The most difficult part can be tying the camera into the ISY.

If you have the ISY Network Module, many cameras email sending can be enabled/disabled by crafting a HTTP request, but this is not always supported nor easy to figure out -- a few companies (AXIS, HikVision, Foscam, Grandstream) publish an API or REST specification documenting how to properly format a command to change individual settings on the camera, while others will go into a weird state if you just try pushing a single setting at the WebUI, don't have a documented API.

Some cameras can be configured to request a HTTP URL when they detect motion this can be used to talk to ISY or IFTTT -- I set this to send a REST "RunIf" call on the ISY so a program is triggered when motion is detected, and then I have this program make a Network Resource call out from the ISY if I want to cause IFTTT to do something.

1. What is your budget if its modest you're limited to many 3rd tier vendors. If its more you have almost anything you can afford.

2. What kind of conditions are you expecting to capture - be realistic. If you want to see real faces and license plates you won't get that going cheap.

3. Night Vision: You literally pay for the quality because regardless of all the bells and whistles of DSP processing its a band aid for poor quality hardware.

4. Optics vs Mega Pixels: No camera you buy should be based on how many mega pixels it can render. You pay lots of money for great optics and lens with filters and shutter speeds.

Bottom line if you want to see random object based on every lighting condition you can buy anything. If you want to have a long term quality hardware consider this an investment in your home and protection of your family.

One is thinking about today, while the other is looking toward the future . . . 

Tl;DR answer:  HikVision, e.g. DS-2CD3345

Is stealthiness and/or size a concern?    My broad recommendation is to choose non-wireless cameras which specifically claim compatibility with ONVIF and standard PoE (IEEE 802.3at or IEEE 802.3af).

The most difficult part can be tying the camera into the ISY.

If you have the ISY Network Module, many cameras email sending can be enabled/disabled by crafting a HTTP request, but this is not always supported nor easy to figure out -- a few companies (AXIS, HikVision, Foscam, Grandstream) publish an API or REST specification documenting how to properly format a command to change individual settings on the camera, while others will go into a weird state if you just try pushing a single setting at the WebUI, don't have a documented API.

Some cameras can be configured to request a HTTP URL when they detect motion this can be used to talk to ISY or IFTTT -- I set this to send a REST "RunIf" call on the ISY so a program is triggered when motion is detected, and then I have this program make a Network Resource call out from the ISY if I want to cause IFTTT to do something.

Stealthiness and size are not a concern

Our front door has a large art glass pane in it and my wife would like to see who is there without going to the door.

Thanks for your input, I'll look in to some of the PoE cameras

1. What is your budget if its modest you're limited to many 3rd tier vendors. If its more you have almost anything you can afford.

2. What kind of conditions are you expecting to capture - be realistic. If you want to see real faces and license plates you won't get that going cheap.

3. Night Vision: You literally pay for the quality because regardless of all the bells and whistles of DSP processing its a band aid for poor quality hardware.

4. Optics vs Mega Pixels: No camera you buy should be based on how many mega pixels it can render. You pay lots of money for great optics and lens with filters and shutter speeds.

Bottom line if you want to see random object based on every lighting condition you can buy anything. If you want to have a long term quality hardware consider this an investment in your home and protection of your family.

One is thinking about today, while the other is looking toward the future . . . 

1. definitely on a budget

2. just want to know if someone I know is at the door

3. doesn't have to have good night vision, porch is always lit at night (automated, dimmed after 11 pm)

My local Menard's store has the INSTEON 75790WH Wireless Security IP Camera with Pan, Tilt and Night Vision on sale for $59. Is that worth picking up to see how far it will get me for starters?

1. definitely on a budget

2. just want to know if someone I know is at the door

3. doesn't have to have good night vision, porch is always lit at night (automated, dimmed after 11 pm)

My local Menard's store has the INSTEON 75790WH Wireless Security IP Camera with Pan, Tilt and Night Vision on sale for $59. Is that worth picking up to see how far it will get me for starters?

Nothing wrong with that as it will give you a point of reference for what a low budget camera will offer. Keeping in mind this camera may very well suit your immediate needs.

Everyone has to start from some where . . .

Its very hard to argue a $59.XX PTZ camera that offers so much value to a person. Having said this after you see what companies like Axis, Pelco, Bosch, Sony, Mobotix offers you realize why it was worth paying $400 - upwards for a single camera system.

If you're looking to display on a phone or tablet, for Android take a look at "tinyCam Monitor".  It's a stable IP camera viewer with support for many different IP cameras -- it should work with any camera claiming "ONVIF Profile S". I bought the "PRO" version when it was on sale, but the free edition is pretty good.

You can dedicate an old tablet or Kindle Fire to always display the IP camera.

I would help sometimes if you can find real samples of real life situations.  The video they show on the news show are always aweful and you cannot even tell what they are wearing a lot of the time.

A few around me want to buy cameras, but as Teken indicated, the good ones are EXPENSIVE and I'd like a good one.  Then we heard about all the bad firmware from China, so it's back to wondering what a good one would be.

I would help sometimes if you can find real samples of real life situations.  The video they show on the news show are always aweful and you cannot even tell what they are wearing a lot of the time.

A few around me want to buy cameras, but as Teken indicated, the good ones are EXPENSIVE and I'd like a good one.  Then we heard about all the bad firmware from China, so it's back to wondering what a good one would be.

If someone was really on a tight budget I would highly suggest they invest in a quality PTZ camera. If said PTZ camera is well placed for the most coverage of the property it can gap the time it takes for funds to arrive to install dedicated cameras in specific areas.

Almost all quality PTZ cameras have guard, roam, and preset positions.

Meaning during normal operations it will sweep the entire property at set intervals. If there is movement anywhere in the FOV the system will track and follow the object.

This offers huge security, safety, along with situational awareness for the home owner . . . A balanced approach is to install less expansive dedicated cameras else where - nothing wrong with that idea.

But, as most of you know as you get older its about spending your money once! Not 9999999999999 times only to learn a hard financial lesson about performance vs value.

Archived