Having a backup ISY?

ddaggett1

So, I've had my ISY 994i/IR PRO for a few years now. We have close to a hundred Insteon devices and everything is (or was) working great. The PLM, however, has just failed. I've researched this online and it looks like, to fix it, I would be using a soldering iron, which is typically where I draw the line. As such, I've ordered a new PLM from Amazon and a backup so that I've got a ready spare in case this ever happens again. So far, so good. But, I've been wondering about a backup for the ISY itself. Is there a way to purchase a backup, have it enabled for the same modules I have already purchased, and either have it as a hot spare, or ready to be put into service as a spare with minimal configuration if the ISY we're currently using ever fails? Overall, the product works great, but it is sad when everything stops working, and I'm willing to buy redundant hardware to make sure that never happens. Any suggestions would be appreciated (and apologies if there is a Wiki or other feedback on this - I couldn't find anything, although I thought I had asked a similar question once before). Thanks!

You can always buy a extra controller but I would think your focus should be on the basics. What do you have in place now that protects your home, electrical, and electronics appliances?

1. Do you have a solid low resistance (< 50 ohm) ground from the meter entrance properly secured to Earth ground.

2. Do you have any Type 1, 2, 3 SPD's in place.

3. Do you have a properly sized UPS system in place.

4. Do you have a AVR in place to ensure the line voltage is a rock steady 120 VAC?

5. Do you have the proper home owner insurance that covers your entire home and its contents to the limits you need?

6. Do you perform a regular back up of your ISY on a regular basis and are they off site?

Many of these elements are the most basics that should be in place to ensure your entire home is well protected. Regardless of all the high tech your home must be properly insured against loss.

This is the only thing that will make you whole when a disaster happens . . . 

Unfortunately, no. The ISY keeps a record of the particular Insteon ID and it's relation with any device that's aware of that ID. That's how the ISY (or any Insteon device) "knows" what to do. That record includes the ID of the PLM which negotiates between any Insteon manager (e.g, HouseLinc, mControl, ISY, PowerHome, Girder, etc.) and the power line. For that reason, you need to go through the procedure that replaces the old ID with the new ID.

Backups do not include the PLM ID. It's too bad the ISY doesn't have a way to automate backups. BTW, when was the last time you backed up your computer B)

Backups do not include the PLM ID. It's too bad the ISY doesn't have a way to automate backups. BTW, when was the last time you backed up your computer B)

UDI should add the option of automated backups to the portal.

So, I've had my ISY 994i/IR PRO for a few years now. We have close to a hundred Insteon devices and everything is (or was) working great. The PLM, however, has just failed. I've researched this online and it looks like, to fix it, I would be using a soldering iron, which is typically where I draw the line. As such, I've ordered a new PLM from Amazon and a backup so that I've got a ready spare in case this ever happens again. So far, so good. But, I've been wondering about a backup for the ISY itself. Is there a way to purchase a backup, have it enabled for the same modules I have already purchased, and either have it as a hot spare, or ready to be put into service as a spare with minimal configuration if the ISY we're currently using ever fails? Overall, the product works great, but it is sad when everything stops working, and I'm willing to buy redundant hardware to make sure that never happens. Any suggestions would be appreciated (and apologies if there is a Wiki or other feedback on this - I couldn't find anything, although I thought I had asked a similar question once before). Thanks!

Yes, you can have a (not hot) spare ISY.  Should the on-line ISY fail (and the PLM remain okay), all that is required is to replace the failed ISY with the spare, and then do a restore backup to the new ISY.  Provided the backup is current, you should be back in business.  This is much simpler than replacing the PLM, which requires every device to be updated to the new PLM's address.

Al

Archived