Hardwired Combo Smoke/CO Alarm and ISY994i?

ddaggett1

Howdy. I have a hopefully easy question. I've been researching replacing smoke alarms in our house. The existing units are about 12 years old and due (I think) for replacement. The existing system is hardwired. After several hours of research, it looks (to me) like the current state of technology is that (a) there are very few hardwired combo smoke alarm / CO units, and (B) none of those appear to talk to ISY directly. Insteon has a bridge product, but it does not work with the new hardwired smoke alarm / CO units from First Alert, and there is no older generation First Alert combo smoke/CO alarm (which would work with the Insteon bridge) that is hardwired. The new FirstAlert hardwired smoke/CO units only talk using the Apple protocol, and there is no good way to make that talk with the ISY. Nest has a hardwired smoke/CO unit, but I'm not seeing any way to connect that to the ISY either. Any suggestions for a hardwired smoke/CO alarm that will talk with the ISY? I have not bought any smoke alarm hardware yet, but the ISY system is for keeps and I'm not changing that part of the home automation :-) Thanks!

It may no longer be available.

AT one time First Alert had a dry contact accessory. That would give you a dry closure output from the Trigger Signal. It could be connected to things like an Insteon I/OLinc module or X10 Powerflash module.

It may no longer be available.

AT one time First Alert had a dry contact accessory. That would give you a dry closure output from the Trigger Signal. It could be connected to things like an Insteon I/OLinc module or X10 Powerflash module.

I have this. It wires in like an additional sensor, but triggers a dry contact. It's designed to trigger a strobe for the hard of hearing.

You can connect this to an io-link to have 'ISY act on it, though this is against fire code in some parts of the world. So, check with your local code officer if you are unsure.

Edit: This is it.. http://m.homedepot.com/p/First-Alert-Smoke-and-Carbon-Monoxide-Alarm-Relay-Module-RM4/204357245

The new home kit version operates on a different frequency and is not one link compatible with the Insteon smoke bridge.

=========================

The highest calling in life is to serve ones country faithfully - Teach others what can be. Do what is right and not what is popular.

One would be led to believe that a Onelink device would be Onelink compatible, but then again, an Insteon camera is not Insteon compatible B)

Archived