text message via email from ISY - add to favorites - iOS

Jamison_IO

I have an alert set up to send me a text message if my garage door is open after 10pm. It is sent to XXXXXXXXXX@vtxt.com (i think that's right - verizon) and works great. Except, I want to tell my phone to let these go through if my do not disturb is on. To do that, normally all i have to do is add the number (or contact) to my 'favorites' and tell DND to allow calls and texts from Favorites through even when DND is on.

So i created a contact from the email address (alerts@universal-devices.com), but since there is no phone number, it wants to connect it to facetime. i tried that, but it still blocks the texts when DND is on.

Ideas?

I had issues using the udi server as each text would show as from a different number in iMessage. I switched to using Gmail to serve and I get a consistent send number/account. And it's me.

Although now that I think about it that won't solve your phone number issue.

I had issues using the udi server as each text would show as from a different number in iMessage. I switched to using Gmail to serve and I get a consistent send number/account. And it's me.

Although now that I think about it that won't solve your phone number issue.

I could send an email to myself with a certain subject and that could send me a text from gmail.  that's a lot of triggers, etc. 

I specifically send a garage door left open text message 1 hour before DND window. Problem solved.

That is embarrassingly simple...i think i just might do that. 

I could send an email to myself with a certain subject and that could send me a text from gmail. that's a lot of triggers, etc.

I use Gmail servers to send the text message to my phone via an email to text. Some number of steps just replace the UDI email server with Gmail.

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

I started using mms.att.net instead of txt.att.net - all of the MMS messages come through from one "number" - apparently, the MMS protocol processes the message headers and the TXT protocol does not. The txt.att.net messages all begin with "FRM: ISY Alerts\nSUBJ:whatever\n"MSG:the message", whereas the same message using MMS will have the SUBJ has the first line, in bold, and the MSG part follows on the next line(s).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived