Migrate from 6 to 8 button KeypadLinc?

kwindrem

I think I know the answer to this but thought I'd ask just in case:

I am planning to switch an existing 6-button KeypadLinc to an 8-button. I've ordered the change kit and know how to switch the KeypadLinc itself from 6-button to 8-button mode.

What I would like to know is if there is ANY way to migrate the scenes made with ISY. I know you can remove the 6-button device and add it back in as an 8-buton but it would be very handy to avoid deleting the entries in the existing scenes.

I am planning to switch an existing 6-button KeypadLinc to an 8-button. I've ordered the change kit and know how to switch the KeypadLinc itself from 6-button to 8-button mode.

What I would like to know is if there is ANY way to migrate the scenes made with ISY. I know you can remove the 6-button device and add it back in as an 8-buton but it would be very handy to avoid deleting the entries in the existing scenes.

I saw a new Replace option if you right click on a keypad with another keypad, do not how how it does with programs and scenes as I have not tried it yet.  have a few to migrate.

Alan

You can keep the scenes intact.  When you delete the 6 button keypad it the button(s) will be removed from the scenes, then add the buttons back into the scene after you install the keypad as a 8 button device.

You cannot use the replace option as replace only works for a "like" device.

You cannot use the replace option as replace only works for a "like" device.

That's what I figured. Too bad.

Consider this a request for enhanced ISY functionality.

One of the biggest problems will be keeping track of all the states in all the different scenes and getting them back correctly. The only thing I can think of is screen shots of every effected scene. Or writing everything down on paper.

Yes, you can replace a 6-button KPL with an 8-butoon KPL. Any scene that involves the On/Off buttons will be replaced with button A on the 8-button KPL, button A becomes B, etc. That's because of the way Insteon keeps track of the buttons. by group number, not letter. The groups are 1-5 for the 6-button KPL and 1-8 for the 8-button KPL. After the swap, you'll have groups 6,7, and 8 unassigned.

That's what I figured. Too bad.

Consider this a request for enhanced ISY functionality.

One of the biggest problems will be keeping track of all the states in all the different scenes and getting them back correctly. The only thing I can think of is screen shots of every effected scene. Or writing everything down on paper.

In the Admin console, click on tools, generate topology.

This will create a report of all your installed devices and scenes. It will not show the current state of a device or scene.

Archived