3way switch help

hum099

I’m having difficulty getting a 3way switch program working. I have 2 dimmer switches connected via a scene in a 3way config. Everything works great physically using the switches. I’m trying to create a program that will turn on the light to 30% between the hours of 9:00pm and 6:00am the next day on press of either switch. I have this working in my bathroom with a single switch. I tried doing the same for the 3way but it does not work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Below is the single switch program and the 3way program I’m trying to create.

Main Bathrroom Night - [iD 003B][Parent 0001]If

From     9:00:00PM

To       6:00:00AM (next day)

Then

In Scene 'Main Bathroom Light' Set 'Main Bathroom Light' 30% (On Level)

In Scene 'Main Bathroom Light' Set 'Main Bathroom Light' 0.2 Sec (Ramp Rate)

Else

In Scene 'Main Bathroom Light' Set 'Main Bathroom Light' 100% (On Level)

In Scene 'Main Bathroom Light' Set 'Main Bathroom Light' 0.2 Sec (Ramp Rate)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

test4 - [iD 0049][Parent 0001]

If

Then

In Scene 'Stair Light' Set 'Stair Upper Switch' 30% (On Level)

In Scene 'Stair Light' Set 'Stair Lower Switch' 30% (On Level)

Else

In Scene 'Stair Light' Set 'Stair Upper Switch' 100% (On Level)

In Scene 'Stair Light' Set 'Stair Lower Switch' 100% (On Level)

The changes made by test4 do not affect what happens when the switches are operated.

If

Then

In Scene 'Stair Upper Switch' Set 'Stair Upper Switch' 30% (On Level)

In Scene 'Stair Upper Switch' Set 'Stair Lower Switch' 30% (On Level)

In Scene 'Stair Lower Switch' Set 'Stair Upper Switch' 30% (On Level)

In Scene 'Stair Lower Switch' Set 'Stair Lower Switch' 30% (On Level)

Else

In Scene 'Stair Upper Switch' Set 'Stair Upper Switch' 100% (On Level)

In Scene 'Stair Upper Switch' Set 'Stair Lower Switch' 100% (On Level)

In Scene 'Stair Lower Switch' Set 'Stair Upper Switch' 100% (On Level)

In Scene 'Stair Lower Switch' Set 'Stair Lower Switch' 100% (On Level)

Hi Lee

Currently I have only one scene called Stair light with both switches in it. If I turn either one on it updates the status on both switches (LED's on the switch). Do I create 2 more scenes with only a single switch in each. Then create the program you suggested. I'm a little confused sorry.

No new Scenes should be required.  I'm assuming there is an ISY Scene with two switches.

Stair Light - ISY Scene

Stair Upper Switch

Stair Lower Switch

The above definition represents three Insteon Scenes which operate independently.   The Stair Light ISY Scene is not used in the description initially posted.   

Stair Upper Switch Insteon Scene is used when Stair Upper Switch is operated.   The Stair Lower Switch is a Responder.

Stair Lower Switch Insteon Scene is used when Stair Lower Switch is operated.  The Stair Upper Switch is a Responder.

test4 Program runs the Then clause at 9 PM, the Else clause at 6 AM.   To test right click test4 Program, select run then to set the 30% values.  Now operating the two switches should produce the 30% result.

Hi Lee

Still confused. I know you said not to create more scenes but could not understand how my one scene with the 2 switches would work. You referred to 3 scenes. I removed the original Stair Light scene and created 2 scenes.

scene 1 - Stair Upper Switch with upper switch a controller and lower switch a responder

scene 2 - Stair Lower Switch with lower switch a controller and upper switch a responder

I then ran the Then and in the ISY it showed it was set to 30% but when I tried the switch it goes to 100%. I really appreciate the patience you have for me.

All you need is the ISY Scene that I displayed before.  This single definition provides all the Insteon Scenes needed.  

Stair Light - ISY Scene

Stair Upper Switch

Stair Lower Switch 

"I then ran the Then and in the ISY it showed it was set to 30% but when I tried the switch it goes to 100%."

This sounds like the ISY Scene is set to 30%.  The ISY Scene is not being used in this scenario.    The test4 Program I posted before sets Stair Upper Switch and Stair Lower Switch to 30% .

If

Then

Else

You need to run the Then of the above Program to set the switch values to 30% rather than setting the ISY Scene to 30%.

Hi Lee

I have not changed anything since my last post.  I still have 2 scenes 

scene 1 - Stair Upper Switch with upper switch a controller and lower switch a responder

scene 2 - Stair Lower Switch with lower switch a controller and upper switch a responder

This just changes the scene but the program is identical to yours. When I add the lines to the then statement I select adjust scene and select the scene then select the device inside the scene is this correct. The only way I could get what you showed was to create the 2 scenes. Sorry for taking up so much of your time. I appreciate it.

Here is the program.

If
        From     9:00:00PM
        To       6:00:00AM (next day)

Then

Else

The ISY creates the two Insteon Scenes automatically when the following definition is used.

Stair Light - ISY Scene

Stair Upper Switch

Stair Lower Switch

Stair Upper Switch is Controller, Stair Lower Switch is Responder

Stair Lower Switch is Controller, Stair Upper Switch is Responder.

Suggest running Event Viewer at LEVEL 3.   Run the Program Then clause that sets the 30% values in the switches.  Post the event trace.  Operate both switches with event 30% values set.   Post event viewer trace.

"When I add the lines to the then statement I select adjust scene and select the scene then select the device inside the scene is this correct."

The Adjust Scene statement that specifies a Scene name as the first parameter is setting "Scene" level information.  Controllers/Responders values being set are based on Scene which is not setting the correct values.   The Adjust Scene is not setting the On Level values that affect when the switches are operated.  That is why the devices are reacting to a 100% On Level rather the the desired 30% On Level.

The On Level values being set are based on the Scene Group number rather than the Group number of the individual switch.  The Group number of each switch is 01.  The Group number of the Scene depends on how many Scenes have been defined, always outside Group number of the switches.

Archived