2475DA1 Cannot determine insteon engine

Banichi

Okay, I admit I am not smart enough to handle this but, here is what I know:

1. I tried dozens of times pressing the link button for 5 seconds. First the button then start linking - no success in ISY; Then started linking first then the button for 5 sec. - no success in ISY. Then button for 5 sec first then add device with address keyed and discover device type - no success in ISY; next, the add device with address keyed and then the button - no success in ISY; next the button first and add device with address keyed and device = 2843-222 - no success in ISY; next add device with address keyed and device = 2843-222 and then the button for 5 sec - no success in ISY; 

2. Meanwhile, all this time the device was properly triggering the relay for the lights;

3. Every time I did this using all the different methods described above, I would see either:

a) not find the device at all; or 

B) start to add the device and then report "Cannot determine Insteon Engine"

4. After Michel suggested the second push of the button I tried the following:

a) Start the admin console

B) Start the add device using the address and the device type set to Open/Close sensor 2843-222

c) Push the 2843-222 button for 5 sec - Green light blinking

d) Release the button

e) Push the 2843-22 button once - down then up - the pattern of green light blinking has changed

e) Return to and view admin console; device is being added successfully on the first try

It has been perfect ever since operating the relay and in the ISY.

I do not know how or why this worked but it did.

It happened exactly the same to me. Thanks to this post could solve the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI - apparently the Leak Sensor needs this extra tap too.  http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Linking_a_Leak_Sensor

However, Insteon's Leak Sensor Manual doesn't mention this.  http://cache.insteon.com/documentation/2852-x22-en.pdf

Carl

Yes, I installed two leak sensors in the last week and both could not be found by putting them in Link Mode. As soon as I added the second button tap to change the blink frequency, my ISY found them instantly!!!!

I have found that lots of the packaged instructions are not accurate.

Archived