Wiring three-way light switches

Sachelis

I have seen various posts, including this blog article, that show how to use Insteon switches to control 3-way lights. However, looking at my existing switches, I'm confused as to which wire goes where (and if, per the blog, the power comes to the same switch as the load). Also, per the following illustration (which shows the current wiring), since both of the current switches have two black wires, I'm unsure which should be wired to the load and which two would get wired together. Can anyone set me straight? I've labeled the income pairs A..E to help us communicate (I hope).

FWIW, the red, and one of the black, wires at each switch is smaller than the other wires. That is shown in this illustration.

This is what the wiring currently looks like:

post-6624-0-05770100-1478912798_thumb.png

lights.png

Thanks!

If the thicker black wires connect to a black screw on each 3-way switch, then:

Switch #1

Connect neutral (white) from the SwitchLinc to the white wires.

Connect line (black) from the SwitchLinc to the thick black wires.

Connect the thin black wire to the thick black wires.

You will have four black wires connected together.

Cap the red wire. Separately, cap the Switchling load (red) wire.

Switch #2

Connect neutral (white) from the SwitchLinc to the white wires.

Connect line (black) from the SwitchLinc to the thin black wire.

Connect load (red) from the SwitchLinc to the thick black wire. This is the wire that was connected to the black screw.

Cap the thin red wire.

Ensure that Switch #2 now controls the load and the LED on Switch #1 is lit. Switch #1 will not control the load until you create a scene (next step).

Create a scene with both SwitchLincs as controllers.

I have seen various posts, including this blog article, that show how to use Insteon switches to control 3-way lights. However, looking at my existing switches, I'm confused as to which wire goes where (and if, per the blog, the power comes to the same switch as the load). Also, per the following illustration (which shows the current wiring), since both of the current switches have two black wires, I'm unsure which should be wired to the load and which two would get wired together. Can anyone set me straight? I've labeled the income pairs A..E to help us communicate (I hope).

FWIW, the red, and one of the black, wires at each switch is smaller than the other wires. That is shown in this illustration.

This is what the wiring currently looks like:

<...>

Thanks!

If I'm understanding you right, the load is managed at switch #1... just wanted to make sure I understood that right.

The red "traveler" wire doesn't need to be used for an Insteon setup and you can just cap it off on both ends.

Basically, at switch #1 you have power coming in and then the switched power going out to the load.  That's fine, no problems there.  For switch #2, you need to run the hot and neutral from switch #1 over to switch #2, using those black/white lines.  It probably already does (looks like your diagram shows the black/neutral already tied between switches).

As long as you have power over at switch #2 then your Insteon will work and can pair with the other.

Be sure to verify everything... I've seen 3-way switches installed in some funny ways over the years to the point where it was hard to tell where the line/load was without bringing out the voltmeter.

If I'm understanding you right, the load is managed at switch #1... just wanted to make sure I understood that right.

The red "traveler" wire doesn't need to be used for an Insteon setup and you can just cap it off on both ends.

Basically, at switch #1 you have power coming in and then the switched power going out to the load.  That's fine, no problems there.  For switch #2, you need to run the hot and neutral from switch #1 over to switch #2, using those black/white lines.  It probably already does (looks like your diagram shows the black/neutral already tied between switches).

As long as you have power over at switch #2 then your Insteon will work and can pair with the other.

Be sure to verify everything... I've seen 3-way switches installed in some funny ways over the years to the point where it was hard to tell where the line/load was without bringing out the voltmeter.

I could follow that schematic shown in the blog post that I referenced, and follow your instructions, if I new which were hot, neutral, travelers, coming from power, going to load, etc, but I don't... So to your questing asking if the load is managed at switch #1, I haven't a clue (I'm a software guy). And as for, "That's fine, no problem there." The problem is, I'm showing the old switches and am (obviously) clueless regarding installing the new switches. Thanks for the offer to help, but you're way over my head. I think Stu's reply might be close, but the thin wires are connected to the black screws... dunno how this changes things.

According to your image, the thicker black wire is connected to the black screw. The wire connects to the screw on the same side of the switch, not the one that's horizontally across from it. See, for example, the red wire in  the image B)

Archived