Why sub accounts for multiple echos?

intellihome

Update on my setup (as it may help others).

With the info I learned on this thread in regards to the echo's only responding from the nearest one, I changed all four echos to "Alexa".

Wow! this really works excellent. I moved around the dots and tested them over and over, sure enough only one responds (the nearest). If I'm right in the middle of them, still only one responds.

Now they are set up in the four parts of the house. My wife started a Christmas mix in the kitchen and I asked Alexa for classic rock in the living room. Each one plays their own music. I told Alexa to stop, my classic rock stopped and her Christmas music kept on playing. She asked Alexa to turn off the kitchen main at the same time I asked Alexa to turn off the great room fans. Both worked independently and perfectly.

For me. A single account works perfect! Thanks for the help in this thread. 

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, glad I found this thread.  Second Echo coming in today, I groaned when I saw the thing about sub-accounts.  

So, as I see it, I just set up the second Echo online, and it will have access to the same portal command library as long as they are both on the same account, correct?

There is one in the master bedroom and one way downstairs in the den, so there is virtually zero chance that they will both hear the wakeup.

Thanks!

That's correct. If the Echos are on the same account, then they'll have access to the same portal library. And even if the two Echos are within earshot of each other, only the one that hears the command first will respond. Prior to the 2nd generation Dots, each Echo would respond--with an echo (delay).

Although the software was introduced with the Dots, all Echos have that feature, even older ones have been updated.

Yep, everything Stusviews posted.

I have one in the garage, one in the kitchen, one in the great room and one in the master bedroom. All on one account (therefore all capable of the full library) and they all play nice together.

The kitchen and Great room are both within earshot of each other but only the closest one responds.

• 2 weeks later...

I currently have one amazon account and one ISY portal, and 5 Amazon Dots. I am debating going to multiple accounts and multiple ISY portals (5 of them perhaps).  I really don't want to screw this up so I am going to seek help/advice first

I think I can set up the multiple amazon accounts, but any advice is appreciated

I am not sure how or where to set up the multiple ISY portals.  Do I need to buy additional ISY portals (one for each echo?)

I would  like to have a common spoken set among all the dots, the spoken set I have now, and a smaller set for each dot such as "Turn off the lights" for the Dots in each room to control the lights in that room. Is there an easy way to do that or must all the "spokens" be reentered for each individual dot?

TIA

Barry

You don't need multiple portals for up to 5 accounts. If you want/need more than 5 accounts, then you need additional portals, one for each 5 accounts.

You need to add devices, scenes and/or programs and spokens separately for each account. You can add both the same and different devices, scenes and/or programs for each account. For example, our kitchen light is in multiple accounts, each with the same spoken. The living room light is in multiple lights, but it's called "light" in the living room account and "living room light" in the other accounts. The bedroom light is called "light" in the bedroom account and "bedroom light" in other accounts. You get the idea B)

I currently have:

3 Echos

9 Dots

4 accounts

1 portal

Thanks stu.  That is exactly what I want to do.

I noticed that the ISY portal can download all the "spokens" to an excel file.  It would be great if the excel file could be uploaded.  

I assume I just have to set up 5 amazon accounts and then reference the appropriate account in each ISY portal. 

I think I will start slow and just set up one additional account until I see that I am doing it correctly and how much time it takes  to load all of the stuff.  

It would be very helpful if the ISY portal system allowed you to "Clone" an account to a second account and then add/remove to tailor it.

Michael?

I am a little confused. I have set up a second amazon account with a different userID/ password.

in the ISY portal I have set up a second account that matches what I have as the second amazon account.

I see that the account has to be approved by the owner ? is that me or the UDI people

I see it also has to verify the email address. I assume that will be done eventually and I need to wait before I can continue.

Does Amazon allow for sub accounts or does each separate echo require a complete new amazon account ?

Is there a tutorial anywhere on setting up multiple ISY portal accounts as what I am doing does not seem to be working

Confused in FL

Archived